[gundam] One Forall & All For Nought!

-Z- (Z@gundam.com)
Mon, 15 Feb 1999 20:04:45 -0800

I started work today on my new job at RealNetworks, porting the online help
from WinHelp on the Win9x/NT platform to HTML on the UNIX platform. This
involves viewing pages with both IE and Netscape, so I took a moment to
browse my Dyar Straights website with Netscape, just for grins. Sure
enough, the Turn-A "For All" symbol didn't parse, resulting in "? Gundam"
instead of Turn-A Gundam.

I used the numeric encoding within FONT tags -- <FONT>&#8704;</FONT> -- to
get the Turn-A symbol, which parses just fine in IE. I've just revised the
page to use the named encoding sans tags -- &forall; -- and will check the
site at work tomorrow to see if that works.

If it doesn't, I'm not sure what to do, except maybe slap in a "Best Viewed
With Internet Explorer" icon. The darn thing works just fine in IE, which
is a lot more versatile than Netscape no matter what purists might say.
IE, for example, will parse named encoding like &copy; (copyright symbol)
or &eacute; (e with an acute accent) even when you forget the terminating
semicolon, while Netscape will simply show your mistake to the world
("r&eacutesum&eacute"). I know, because I just had to fix three occurences
that parsed OK in IE by made me look very foolish to prospective employers
who use Netscape.

In any case, I'll probably end up trying all of the possible combinations
of &#8704; and &forall; with and without FONT tags until I get something
that parses in Netscape ... or, failing that, just go back to what I had
before, since that works for both IE and whatever Mark's using for a browser.

Mark, if you find the answer to this before I do, please let us all know....

-Z-