Re: [gundam] Ex.org news section on 'Turn A' Gundam

Yves Sakai (yves@hawaii.edu)
Thu, 11 Feb 1999 13:55:02 -1000

On Thu, 11 Feb 1999, Mark Simmons wrote:

> On the Turn-A subject...
>
> It's noted (accompanying the pictures of mine-owners Mr. and Mrs. Heim)
> that the technology of this world is approximately 19th-century. Coupled

> The NewType article also seems fuzzy on a couple of key points. They
> spend a lot of time wondering which calendar the date of 2345 is measured
> in; while AD seems a likely candidate, they suggest it's a point of
> mystery. And the description of the Gundam that "emerges from the rock"
> varies; at some points they flatly describe it as a mobile suit, at others
> as "something like a mobile suit," both of which suggest that the
> "two-legged machines" of the invading Moon Race may bear the traditional
> moniker. Kota, do your sources suggest otherwise?
>
> Lastly, looking at the full-size Mead painting, I'm getting this weird
> War of the Worlds vibe from the secondary mecha. Coupled with the
> 19th-century scenario, I have to wonder whether Tomino is trying for
> another homage to classic sci-fi authors like HG Wells and Jules Verne (who
> was amply homaged in Crossbone Gundam).

Hmmn... Sounds like a Steampunk Gundam thingee... Victorian Gundam? That
would explain a western designer working on it. Should have had the
Martians instead of the moon people invading earth... Better watch out for
those viruses!

> Heaven help me, I'm actually getting curious about the new show... :-)

Surely not! :)
___
Yves