Re: Re: [gundam] Gundam '99 and knee-jerk responses.

-Z- (Z@gundam.com)
Mon, 08 Feb 1999 17:27:43 -0800

At 17:13 2/8/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Ugly isn't necessarily a bad thing however, VOTOMs has some of the most
>ugliest mecha I've ever seen, yet they're some of my favorite designs. But
>yes, I agree they could have found a better designer. Does anyone know why
>they chose Syd Mead? It seems like they could've just gotten someone from
>Japan to do the designs.

This is pure specualtion, but I think they got Syd Mead because they have
their eyes on a Western audience and Hollywood distribution and Mead has
quite a good track record.

Consider, too, that anime and computer games are now in lockstep and that
Syd Mead designed Tron, back when that was considered pushing the envelope.
 When I look at both the mecha and chara designs for Turn-A, they scream
"CGI!" at me. Didn't the chara designer made his name doing games, not anime?

I'm wondering if maybe they didn't design the game first and what we're
looking at are the game designs on which the anime will be based....

-Z-