RE: [gundam] New Gundam Design Revealed!!!

William_Horner@dell.com
Mon, 8 Feb 1999 16:03:52 -0600

        Let me start of by saying, I think everything you said below is
correct. But having said that I also must speak from a slightly different
point of view. There are some of us out hrer that are lacking one advantage
that you have and a large portion of your views and open mindedness are
based on. That being the Luck of having seen most of(of at least a larger
portion of) these serieses(sp?). Some peope (Myself included untill about 7
months ago) Have only seen one or two episodes from each series at most, and
mabey one movie. For those people, story and characters have a little more
abstract a value. After seing these shows, Ill be the first to agree that it
adds Infinitly to the coolness that is gundam, But Most of us who werent
born in\spent time in japan came to love gundam for one reason, the really
cool, similarly styled robots. Example, Ive read many times in the last few
posts how non gundam like the f91 series was. And im sure to people who were
introduced to it by the anime as opposed to by the models or posters/gifs
agree. But as someone who searched for tapes for years before finding one
solitary tape of CCA, I can see gundam in the f91. Sure its rounded and more
"seemless" but still has the chest intakes, the head antenna, the leg vents,
the FEEL of gundam to someone who loves the series because of the mecha.
Especially if your first model was the neo gundam with the flowchat of
gundam evolution from the f90 (very rx-78/178ish) to the f91(In retrospect
very different but I didnt see That at the time). To these people, and those
who really Focus on the mecha aspect dispite viewing the shows, THe new
design is a little threatining and an initial let down. Im not assuming the
show will suck, or that the mecha will suck, but that image, .... It sucks.
It probaly wouldnt if it were a new show, but that image held up to the
expectations of mecha starved americans just dosent mesure up. To me it
looks like a direct decendant of some of the dragonar mecha, which were
great, but they werent gundam. So again Knowing what I do now I agree with
all you statements, But I can see the POV of the other side also.

                                        Sorry for the rant.

William Horner
L2 MACSD Portables
x64111