Re: [gundam] Gundam '99 and knee-jerk responses.

Operator7G - Michael Ip (zugok@gundam.com)
Tue, 09 Feb 1999 10:32:08 +1300

At 15:40 1999.02.08 -0500, Roger wrote:
>I've seen a really disturbing
>number of posts that declare "this show is going to suck".

I have not seen many of the 'this show is going to suck' comments. I do
fear that negative feedback on the new design will lead to the prejudgement
that the show will suck. However, I have felt this sentiment has been
around fr some time since Tomino made his press announcement on the series.

>First of all, how can anyone possibly judge this show when all that's
>available to us is a logo, a tiny scan of what appears to be
>pre-production art, and a thimbleful of information on the characters and
>plot?
Like judging a book by it's cover...

>Secondly, why does the Gundam in question have to look exactly like it's
>predecessors? Take Gundam F-91 and stand it next to the original RX-78.

I am hoping atleast that people will grow to like the new design. You
mention F91, I hated it at first, but now I consider it as one of the best
MS designs. I know many people on this list share the same sort of feelings.

>Thirdly, since when did anyone watch Gundam solely for the mecha? There
>are other things that make up anime shows called plots, stories, and
>characters.

I think ther are a lot of people that do watch it for the MSs.This mailing
list, although mainly technically directed, is a good example that Gundam
fans do care for plot, history and characters. I admit, I used to only
watch it and only got interested in Gundam for the MSs, that was when I was
younger. As I have said before, as I have been more influenced by my
surroundings, I have grown to be more interested in plot and characters.

-
Michael Ip
reika@clear.net.nz