Re: [gundam] New Gundam Design Revealed!!!

Roger Harkavy (harkavyr@pandora.planet.net)
Mon, 8 Feb 1999 16:31:56 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 8 Feb 1999 BlazeEagle@aol.com wrote:
> I'll have to focus on Garaski if they don't change the new Gundams design.

Mark Simmons will completely vouch for this, if he remembers:

Two years ago when I left the Gundam list, I sent Mark an email about why
I was leaving the list. One of the things I wrote him about was how I was
having a tough time appreciating the mecha, and that I was going to watch
a show with more "realistic" mecha instead, and cited VOTOMS as an
example.

Today, I think that's one of the stupidest comments I've ever made,
on-line or otherwise. Blaze, eventually you'll probably feel the same
about the statement from your own post.

I'm a Gundam fan, there's no denying it. Otherwise I wouldn't be
subscribing to this list. There are some elements that I may not like from
certain series (The mecha of Gundam F-91, the characters of 0083), but
I've learned not to throw the baby out with the bath water. If I did I'd
be missing out on too much. I think about every time I might have:

- Stopped watching Star Trek: TNG because of how much I disliked the
Enterprise-D
- Stopped watching Babylon 5 because of the silly Centauri hairstyles
- Stopped watching VOTOMS because of a mecha named "Danger Melon"
- Stopped watching Dunbine because there were fairies in the cast
- Stopped watching L-Gaim because there were people dueling on a desert
planet with lightsabers (and there were fairies in the cast)

(and please, if you'd like to discuss any of these, don't post to the
list, email me privately - let's try keeping things on topic)

I mean, let's face it, ALL giant robot anime is silly to a degree, because
the premise of using giant robots for combat is kind of silly. And that
silliness gets multiplied when you have them scaled up to over 60 feet
tall and whacking away at each other with swords, axes, and whips. If you
look at it this way, does it really matter what the facial details on
these robots are, or what colors they're painted in?

Again, don't get me wrong, I love this show, but I don't love it to the
point that I'm insulted when a robot design appears that I don't become
(emotionally) erect from. And the fact that a "gaijin" is responsible for
this one doesn't bother me in the least.

Remember William Shatner saying "it's just a TV show"? Try keeping that in
mind. There's no reason that you shouldn't be watching it and enjoying it
(or not enjoying it), but don't discount this show months before it's even
released based on the appearance of one mecha design.

---
Roger Harkavy
harkavyr@planet.net
http://www.planet.net/pharkavyr/