[gundam] Gundam '99 and knee-jerk responses.

Roger Harkavy (harkavyr@pandora.planet.net)
Mon, 8 Feb 1999 15:40:00 -0500 (EST)

In the last 24 hours since the picture of Syd Mead's Gundam became known
to the list subscribers, and since then I've seen a really disturbing
number of posts that declare "this show is going to suck".

First of all, how can anyone possibly judge this show when all that's
available to us is a logo, a tiny scan of what appears to be
pre-production art, and a thimbleful of information on the characters and
plot?

Secondly, why does the Gundam in question have to look exactly like it's
predecessors? Take Gundam F-91 and stand it next to the original RX-78.
Outside of the color scheme, the fact that they each have two eyes and a
boomerang on their heads, and it's name, what makes one more of a Gundam
than the other? Personally, I think that creating a new and different
mecha for the 20th anniversary is completely appropriate. Does anyone
really want the kind of rehashed designs we got with Gundam-X? I know I
don't.

Thirdly, since when did anyone watch Gundam solely for the mecha? There
are other things that make up anime shows called plots, stories, and
characters. In some shows, blink and you may miss them, but they are
there. When watching the original Gundam movies, sure, the mecha are
pretty crude and bulbous, but is it fair for me to focus on this one thing
and discount the entire show? No.

These discussions remind me a lot of way back when the first info
regarding Gundam F-91 was filtering into the US. Personally, I really
wasn't too hot on the mecha designs, what I knew about the plot,
characters, etc., but I was excited about what was going to be the first
Tomino Gundam series since Char's Counterattack. I gave it a try. I ended
up hating it, but at least I waited until the end of the movie to decide
that I did.

So relax a bit, and when this new show comes around, give it a chance and
open your mind to something new. It's probably why you started watching
Gundam in the first place...

---
Roger Harkavy
harkavyr@planet.net