Re: [gundam] New Gundam Design Revealed!!!

Kota Fujimura (fujimura+@MAIL1.ANDREW.CMU.EDU)
Mon, 8 Feb 1999 14:27:02 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 8 Feb 1999 01:11:25 -0800 Edward Ju <gundam@loop.com> wrote:

> Upon closer examination of the Turn "A" Gundam, I realized why it didn't
> leave me a good impression: it looked way too toyish. While aesthetically
> it can look good to the eye if you are an art & designs insititute type,
> It betrays the spirit of mobile suits in the sense that while it's got
> the look, we see nothing functional on its body. Take the cross on its
> chest, for example... what is that for? Looks like a "match your crosshair
> on THIS and shoot me" come-on to me, at least with other Gundams you can
> tell where the cockpit hatch is.

Funniest part about Turn-A Gundam is it's supposed to be an industrial
design, instead of typical anime design. Instead, we got this
just-came-out-of-SF-book-that-was-published-in-70's Gundam. A lot of
Japanese fans are laughing their head off (although there are some fans
that are really pissed off), because their first impression of new
design was original Tekkaman (not Blade).

But if Tomino is going for anti-mecha fan series, I have to say he's
doing damn good job. He did say he doesn't really care about fans of
old series.

Who knows? A lot of people, along with myself, hated the mecha design
for G, and a lot of people hated Beam Rotor and Motorad Fleet, and G
and V Gundam is a very good series. If the trend continues, this may
become a very very good series.

> As for the characters, I am rather disappointed... you'd think a designer
> who breathed life into the Capcom Street Fighters would really be able to
> stir things up, but the 3 characters we see were close enough to be from
> the same mold! Just apply different skin color and hairstyle and presto!
> Gosh, even their eyes looked about the same. At least you can tell the
> weirdos in Wing apart.

On Saturday, there was a rumor floating around that Rolan was supposed
to be a girl. No wonder people mistook him for a chick.

Kota Fujimura
fujimura+@cyrus.andrew.cmu.edu