Re: [gundam] New Gundam Design Revealed!!!

Roger Harkavy (harkavyr@pandora.planet.net)
Mon, 8 Feb 1999 00:34:11 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 7 Feb 1999, Kota Fujimura wrote:
> Well, this is the day we were waiting for and afraid of. The design for
> "Turn-A Gundam" is finally revealed at Sunrise's site.
>
> http://www.nifty.ne.jp/station/sunrise/gun_new/gun_new.htm

Well, after reading the 60+ emails that have popped up about this in the
last 12 hours, count me in the "great, I'm all for it" camp. If I had to
venture a guess where Syd Mead got a bit of his inspiration, it could have
been from Vifam and Ideon designs, but I'm betting that he just went with
a basic concept and color scheme and took it from there.

It's a huge departure from what you would call "classic" Gundam and most
Japanese mecha design in general, but I'm very happy with it. It
definitely seems to delve into Gundam's "super robot" roots a bit, and I
like the "grunts" (if that's what they are) behind it. It's a breath of
fresh air compared to the recycled crap we might have gotten if this was
left in someone else's hands.

Case in point, the stuff I saw on the G-Saviour page. Gundam and Zakus
that seem to be tweaked a bit for CGI, but otherwise identical to the
source material. Yawn.

---
Roger Harkavy
harkavyr@planet.net