Re: [gundam] MG GM at the new HLJ

Prabal Nandy (nandy@U.Arizona.EDU)
Sat, 6 Feb 1999 23:59:38 -0700 (MST)

> > Hey, did anyone notice how much of the MG GM is inspired by the 8MST GM?
> >The backpack (with those little side-blocks) is IDENTICAL to the 8MST one,
> the 08th MS Team designs. Hence, the 08th MS Team GM inherits its
> backpack and whatnot from the MG Gundam. As per the kit manual, the 08th

  Ah, I see...
  The only picture I had of the MG Gundam Backpack (Closeup) was a pic
with the armor removed, I didn't notice that with armor on it looked just
like the 8MST backpack, except in grey!

> GM's backpack is a standard GM/Gundam type, but the beam saber gear was
> relocated to the legs to make room extra cooling systems in the backpack.

   I have to say that's a rather silly explanation. Replace the regular GM
power-couplings with _cooling_ gear for a _ground_ MS? When it's the
_space_ MS that have the biggest cooling problems?

> >has a beam spray gun with a retoconned ECAP! (Note the little 'magazine'
> >thing on the gun!)
> Sorry, Probe, that was always there. The MG kit's beam spray gun is
> identical to the 1979 classic. Maybe the kit manual will shed some light
> on the workings of this mystery weapon...

  Hrrrm! My pics of the original GM pistol show a little 'nub' like
formation in front of the trigger (hard to say what it is). The puny
picture of the GM on the HLJ site looks to have a _substantially_ larger
and more magazine-shaped structure on it. (Shrug)

   One thing I like about the MG GM is that finally, the Mk.II-style
hip-hardpoint for the pistol finally makes it look like a properly
holstered weapon! (Holstering a rifle on the hip like the Mk.II has just
doesn't look right to me).
                                                                -Probe