Re: Kou Uraki - the most ineffectual Gundam pilot ever ?

Roger Harkavy (harkavyr@pandora.planet.net)
Sun, 31 Jan 1999 00:41:47 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 30 Jan 1999 Enigma298@aol.com wrote:
> What DID Uraki ever actually achieve ? Let's see....

Nothing really. As you listed, he flubbed all of the important things,
and as far as the small stuff he got (promotions, chance to pilot the
GP01 and GP03), they were all taken away from him.

> 6) Then again, he *did* get the girl in the end.

Yeah, lucky guy. He gets a girl who sticks up for her jerk of an
ex-boyfriend (responsible for countless deaths in the nuking of Solomon
and a colony drop) to the point where she fires a gun at him. A real
prize, that Nina.

In my view, Kou is a stupid, spineless worm. Unfortunately the final
episode of 0083 ends with Nina and Kou about 50 feet away from each other.
If I had any faith in Kou's character, after the scene blacks out I'd
visualize him sprinting the distance and using the Jet Stream Attack on
her, but from what we've seen of Kou, it probably doesn't happen.

Personally, I felt that one of the themes that Gundam 0083 was trying to
get across was that those who are completely and totally devoted to their
cause (Gato) are the ones who can change the world, while those who let
their emotions get in the way only fall flat on their ass and are
ultimately forgotten (Kou).

Anyone agree with me that at the end of 0083, Kou is the loser and Gato is
the champion?

---
Roger Harkavy
harkavyr@planet.net