Re: Gundam fans read SF

A Long Time Ago, In A Galaxy, Far, Far Away.... (devillin@juno.com)
Fri, 29 Jan 1999 01:13:39 -0500

>> The was a story collection called ARMOR a few years back that was
nothing
>> but stories about powered armor, but I can't remember the name of the
>> editor or the publisher.
>
>There is a book called Armor by John Steakley (author of Vampire$) that
>continues the powered armor sci-fi tradition pioneered by Heinlein with
>Starship Troopers and continued by Haldeman with The Forever War (some
of

Funny thing is, if you changed a couple of events in Armor, it is quite
concievable
that it is a continuation of Starship Troopers. A friend and I had a
discussion on
this a year or so ago when he first read Starship Troopers, after he lent
me his
copy of Armor. I think we concluded that the only thing you had to do was
change
one or two key events, and change the general leadership of the human
forces.
Reason being that with Starship Troopers, the Lts, Majors, and Generals,
all
came from the ranks of the soldiers, and therefore had combat experience
and
know what was possible and what wasn't. In Armor, the leaders were all
school
and book trained, and used their forces in textbook fashion. As can be
expected,
screwup after screwup was normal operations of the day. Biggest example
would
have to be the main character of the book who went down for somewhere
around
20 drops, despite the fact that everyone else in his unit was dead and
the
mandatory max drops was supposed to 5 or so.

--
Linwood Foster,   The_Sentinel@Gundam.Com
3 of 10, Rec.Games.Mecha Moderation Team

___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]