Re: New Gundam series/special for 1999?

Prabal Nandy (nandy@U.Arizona.EDU)
Thu, 28 Jan 1999 23:14:34 -0700 (MST)

> G-SAVIOUR is a one-shot TV special, with CG mobile suits and a
> live-action cast. The plot, based on a trailer shown as last year's San
> Diego Comic-Con, is kinda like Power Rangers in space. Though the date

  I heard people were _howling_ when they showed the preview, it was that
goofy looking!
  Maybe the CGI has improved since then?

> a recent anime mag interview (NewType? G20? I forget) that it's intended to
> be an adult show aimed at older viewers. Well, we'll see.

  Well... I guess it's possible that some older people watch "Power
Rangers" so... What I'm afraid of is that Sunrise/Bandai is completely
misunderstanding its target audience.

> GUNDAM A PROJECT is the new TV series, directed by Tomino, with character
> designs by Capcom's Akira Yasuda and mecha designs by Syd Mead. It will be
> set in the Universal Century continuity, and one cryptic Sunrise writeup
> referred to it as "compilation" of the UC saga. No other info is available.

  Isn't this the show that Tomino said "Would dissappoint people looking
for mecha action"? A 'compilation' seems pretty wierd... they're not
trying to rewrite the _entire_ gundam story "For the '90s" are they?

  Then again, it _would_ make sense for them to do this, particularly with
anime-village poised to dump all those old model kits back into the US!

                                                                -Probe