Re: [Gundam] A question of Breeding

Prabal Nandy (nandy@U.Arizona.EDU)
Thu, 28 Jan 1999 12:02:15 -0700 (MST)

> Nobility outside of the Zabi family (who I don't consider nobility anyway)?

  Not really.
  Even then the Zabis were pretty much a 'self-declared' aristocracy based
on _political_ power transferred from the dead demagogue Zion.
  After all, how can you have a noble-class among forced-emmigrated
refugees from Earth?

  What is interesting is the common thread that seems to run through all
the UC gundams and even WG of spacenoids forming or buying 'fake'
aristocracy and using it to bulwark their designs on the Earth Sphere. It
really is a reflection of Japanese society where underclass 'merchants'
now aspire, with money, to buy themselves into the traditional noble
class. Interesting, no? This thread is extreemely evident in "Five Star
Stories" which makes me think it's part of a broader social commentary.

  Hey, what do you think Mark(s)?

                                                        -Probe