Re: [Gundam] A question of Breeding

Prabal Nandy (nandy@U.Arizona.EDU)
Thu, 28 Jan 1999 10:34:34 -0700 (MST)

On Thu, 28 Jan 1999 Enigma298@aol.com wrote:
> Nowadays, the term "Your Excellency" is also used for ambassadors, although
> they don't hold any noble title.

  I think this is simply because, in the past, Ambassadors generally
_were_ members of the nobility or relatives of the kings, etc and hence
deserved that title... it's persisted because of tradition.
  But also note that only in this country are our Ambassador's chosen from
campaign-contributors, has-been old actors, personal drinking buddies of
the president or congressmen, etc... in the rest of the world it's still
considered a most prestigious office!

\~~~~~\__ ~~\___/~~ __/~~~~~/ /probe@sunset.bph.jhu.edu\ Lord of the Flies
  ~<==\__\_<O\:/O>_/__/==>~ /www.dragonfire.net/~jhfong\ 1st MPC Division
     <_/ //=\ ^ /=\\ \_> \nandy@opt-sci.arizona.edu / Colony World Myops