Re: One Year War vintage weapon comments: Close Quarter Weapon

Prabal Nandy (nandy@U.Arizona.EDU)
Thu, 28 Jan 1999 10:13:07 -0700 (MST)

On Thu, 28 Jan 1999, Mark Nguyen wrote:
> >> Most? ALL of Jion armor! A matter of fact, is there ANYTHING that a
> >>beam saber can't cut?
> I seem to remember an early episode of ZZ where the Zeta Gundam's shield
> is used to successfully block a beam saber blow. This hardly counts

  Nyeah, I don't like that at all.
  I guess I can believe that a Gundarium shield can successfully prevent a
beam-saber from slashing through a MS, but that's only by putting a big
chunk of metal in the way! After all, the GP-02A has basically the biggest
freakin' shield in the entire Gundam universe, and the GP-01 was able to
skewer the shield easily with its beam saber.

> Beam shields are also particularly effective.

  Of course, but I was thinking of armors, not energy fields. The I-Field
should work as well of course, (though you can get 'under' an I-Field).

> BEAM SABER POWER control switch on the arm of his seat, and whupped up
> the GP02 saber's size and strength. At the end of the fight, it cuts
> straight through the GP01 saber.

  Yeah, I don't like that either. The M-Field should reform immediately
after the other saber passes through the particle-stream! Not just that,
but a pumped-up saber shouldn't last very long at all!
  An interesting addendum to this effect can be seen in the Gundam Epyon,
that's got a big hose running into its saber from its reactor, allowing a
direct feed of plasma and a consequently ENORMOUS blade!

> weapons? In 0083 and F-91 (off the top of my head) we see a couple times
> that the saber is used only when about to strike (this is contradicted

  Which is really cool BTW!
  I think we may also see this in 0080, as GMs only switch their sabers on
at the last moment to strike.

> often, as people have been shown walking around with active beam sabers
> and not worrying about it.

  Maybe they've got big batteries, or are phenomenally careless?

> Heat weapons are just plasma-field thermal alloys, so as long as power

  Plasma-field? What are you talking about? I thought the heat weapons
were simply hot metal?

\~~~~~\__ ~~\___/~~ __/~~~~~/ /probe@sunset.bph.jhu.edu\ Lord of the Flies
  ~<==\__\_<O\:/O>_/__/==>~ /www.dragonfire.net/~jhfong\ 1st MPC Division
     <_/ //=\ ^ /=\\ \_> \nandy@opt-sci.arizona.edu / Colony World Myops