Re: Gundam fans read SF

Roger Harkavy (harkavyr@pandora.planet.net)
Thu, 28 Jan 1999 09:53:08 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 27 Jan 1999, -Z- wrote:
> Gisnt robots -- or, more accurately, giant humanoid fighting machines --
> isn't a viable subgenre of SF otuside of Japan. It's only been in the last
> decade that it's even appeared in English and it's not considered
> scientifically valid.

The closest thing to home-grown giant robot sci-fi is Robot Jox (book and
movie), by Joe Haldeman. Utterly forgettable. As a side note, one of the
robots from the Robot Jox movie was ripped off and used in another film
called Crash and Burn.

> The was a story collection called ARMOR a few years back that was nothing
> but stories about powered armor, but I can't remember the name of the
> editor or the publisher.

There is a book called Armor by John Steakley (author of Vampire$) that
continues the powered armor sci-fi tradition pioneered by Heinlein with
Starship Troopers and continued by Haldeman with The Forever War (some of
my all-time favorites, highly recommend all three). There was also a
compilation called Armor Wars 2000 that was edited by Haldeman. It
includes a short story called "The Last Crusade" that predates Starship
Troopers and will always stick with me.

Getting back to the mailing list subject, after reading the review of G20
at EX's website, I'm confused: who was the specific person involved with
Gundam that was inspired by Starship Troopers when creating the show? Was
it Tomino, or someone else on the Sunrise staff? I've seen Ryosuke
Takahashi quoted as being influenced by the powered suit concept when
approaching Kunio Okawara to design smaller, more military-style mecha for
VOTOMS.

---
Roger Harkavy
harkavyr@planet.net