Re: [Gundam] A question of Breeding
Thu, 28 Jan 1999 02:21:21 EST

In a message dated 28/01/99 05:53:15 GMT Daylight Time, writes:

> Title Landholding Honorific
> ----- ----------- ---------
> Archduke (AKA Prince) Dukedom Your Lordship
> Duke Duchy Your Grace
> Marquis Marquisate Your Grace
> Count County Your Excellency
> Viscount Viscounty Your Excellency
> Baron Barony Your Honor
> Note that "highness" and "majesty" are reserved to Kings and Emperors and
> their successors and "eminence" is reserved to ecclesiastics (Popes and
> Cardinals).

Highness is commonly used to refer to princes and princesses as opposed to
kings. Queen Elizabeth II is referred to as Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth,
whereas all of her sons and daughters use the honorific "Your Highness", or
specifically, "Your Royal Highness" for immediate family members of the
sovereign. Emperors and Empresses are usually given the honorific "Your
Imperial Majesty", as Queen Victoria was when she was crowned Empress of

Archdukes and princes aren't the same rank. The son of a Duke *can* be called
a prince, although not usually a royal prince. The rank of Archduke was
commonly, in continental European countries, reserved for siblings of the
sovereign. Where some confusion sometimes arises is that most noblemen hold
more than one title, and often allow their sons the use of lesser titles.
Nowadays, the term "Your Excellency" is also used for ambassadors, although
they don't hold any noble title.

Counts are a generally continental European title. The British equivalent is
probably an Earl, usually using the honoric "Your Lordship".



This archive was generated by hypermail 2.0b3 on Thu Jan 28 1999 - 16:08:00 JST