Re: Gundam fans read SF

-Z- (Z@gundam.com)
Wed, 27 Jan 1999 19:41:20 -0800

At 00:27 1/28/99 +0800, you wrote:
>>For the record, I do not read fiction much. Sometimes I feel the journal
>>article I read on non-linear regression and pharmockinetic and
>>physiological models is SF. Hell I ecventhink my thesis is SF. :)
>
> Yah, I've been doing research into the paranormal and psychic stuff
>myself...and all I can say is that Newtype powers MAY exist right now in
>some people...the problem is that of physics...observation changes the
>results, it seems in investigating psychic powers. I have read a lot of
>material on how people have a sixth sense for danger, but it cannot be
>duplicated in lab conditions because the element of danger isn't there.
>The same goes for higher stuff...but it's there! I've seen it.

The problem with psychic research is that your trying to apply quantifiable
metrics to something that's almost by definition quantifiable.

By way of example, I know of a "psychic" power that everyone possesses to
some degree and that some possess to an astounding degree. We have all
experienced or exhibited this power at some point in our lives and
witnessed it in others, but all attempts to duplicate it in the lab, invoke
it upon demand (except to the very gifted, who can't seem to restrain it)
or enhance it have all met with failure. Books have been written about it,
we try to teach it in our schools (and often destroy or inhibit it in the
process) and many could not do their day-to-day jobs without it, but we are
no closer to understanding it now than when it was first described in
writing thousands of years ago.

I'm talking about creativity.

Inspiration, one of our oldest words for a sudden flash of undersatnding,
comes from the Greek word "to breathe in" -- to take knowledge from thin
air. We've all done this and many, like myself, earn a living by tossing
ideas around or "brainstorming" -- with varying degrees of success and days
where nothing comes to mind and others where ideas flow like torrents.

When you can measure, quantify, bottle and dispense creativity, that most
human of atributes, then maybe you'll be ready to investigate "psychic"
phenomena....

-Z-