Re: Gundam fans read SF

Wed, 27 Jan 1999 17:30:00 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 27 Jan 1999, Mark Simmons wrote:
> to check out Alfred Bester, who's a bit more down-to-earth but definitely a
> uniquely imaginative writer.

By down-to-earth do you mean more entertaining? My complains with Lem and
Dick is that sometimes they are on to too much metaphysics. Especially
Lem. Ghost in the Shell is a perfect example of a heady cyberpunk
metaphysical musing packed in a tight entertaining story.

> Otherwise, I can't say I'm too impressed by a lot of sci-fi, as so much

likewise, yawn!

> Hm... actually sounds a little bit like some of the stuff in Blue
> Destiny. I'd love to see a good, weird newtype story, especially one that

Oh... don't have Sega, and didn't see the comic... Would you give a little
synopsis?

You want weird, how about the hero asking him/herself: "I am a Zeon ace
pilot, their hope for the glorious future, I think. Or am I really a
disposable Federal Newtype experimental guniea pig who was kidnapped and
brainwashed by Zeon?" (borrow from "Total Recall")

How about a first-person narrative of a paranoid: "Everyone is against me,
I know! My Newtype sense is telling me!!!" (borrow from "Pi")

> taps Probe's wirdo theories about death and the collective unconsciousness.

Can you elaborate? You are extrapolating from Lalah Sun's ghost
appearance to Char and Amuro right? I actually don't like that part, too
much like Obi Wan Kenobi.

CHIN, Chien Ting
... o O *
Man is a bubble