Gundam fans read SF

Tue, 26 Jan 1999 20:12:07 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 25 Jan 1999 BlazeEagle@aol.com wrote:
> Thats the crap I was reading. I didn't finish it. It stink worse then 40 year
> old garbage. I like issac assimov and Arthur C. Clarke, espically the Venus
> Prime series and I liked Hyperion.

Very interesting to hear you guys talk SF. I kind of get a sense that
Gundam fans read a certain kind of SF, I can't quite put my finger on what
it is (near-future Solar System adventure with an emphasis on technical
bent?). But it's interesting to note that no one mentions about of my
favorites:

Dune by Frank Herbert
The Chrysalids by John Wyndham
Stanislaw Lem
Philip K Dick

Especially Dune and The Chrysalids are very related to a key idea in OYW:
the psyche of someone with supernatural power (prescience in Dune,
telepathy in Chrysalids).

I keep day-dreaming about writing a psychological fanfic on a Newtype set
in 0078-79, the hero is a Zeonic Newtype guniea pig, someone very similar
to Lalah Sun, but with a messed-up head. But I am the first one to tell
you that I can't write.

CHIN, Chien Ting
... o O *
Man is a bubble