Re: Camera and the Mohawk (Was: SOC RX-78 Gundam Pics)

Prabal Nandy (nandy@U.Arizona.EDU)
Mon, 25 Jan 1999 20:44:34 -0700 (MST)

> > >anyone sign to that? That's like the treaty ending WWII banning nuclear
> > >weapons!
> I think it was a good idea. Because nuclear anything is very dangerous,

  Nuclear Weapons are responsible for the century of peace and tranquility
that we now enjoy. Our world would have been beset and overrun by the
evils of godless pinko communism if it was not for the nuclear shield
protecting our freedom and rights and religion under the locked fist of
our American Atomic Triad that has defended democracy for all
peace-loving peoples of the world.

> especially weapons. Think nuclear holocaust here! What if we had a world wide
> civil war with nuclear weapons?!? BAM-O! End of the world as we know it or end
> of the world, Period. The governments are still cleaning up the mess from the
> storage of nukes.

  My point is this: We won WWII by the use of Nukes... we had overwhelming
force and weaponry at our disposal at the end of the war. We made the
terms and the enemy was forced to submit to whatever those terms would be.
Why? Because we had the power to blast our enemies into atoms!

  Similarly, at the end of the 1YW, what did the Fed have to fear? Jion
was utterly destroyed, their armies and weaponry scattered to the four
winds of space, their colonies ransacked and destroyed, their leadership
severed and dead... the Feds had the ability to dictate terms and demand
anything they wanted! So why sign away the right to do _anything_? What's
Jion gonna do about it once Fed troops occupy their Side and have their
leaders in prison?

  Similarly, I fail to see why anyone made a big fuss about the Nuclear
Gundam in 0083. Sure it's a violation of the Antarctic treaty to _use_
WOMDs in open-warfare, but it's not an express violation to _build_ such
weapons (obviously!) After all, we see TONS of nukes later in Gundam, and
more importantly, _every_single_ M-Engine in the entire Earth Sphere can
be used as a makeshift nuclear weapon.... so what's the bloody point of
banning nuclear weapons or taking such a rule seriously?
  And even if you DO make the weapons, who cares about the Treaty? A
treaty is only useful so long as both sides can enforce it. With Jion
utterly defeated, the Antarctic treaty is just an empty piece of paper.

                                                                -Probe