Re: [OT] EVA the ground-breaker

Mon, 25 Jan 1999 21:38:28 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 25 Jan 1999, Mark Nguyen wrote:
> Two words: RELIGIOUS CONTROVERSY. After the halfway point of the series,
> things get REALLY whacko.

HALFWAY?!?! (BTW thanks for not spoiling anything for me :)

Ok, here is why I am not getting into the series yet, but I total got into
OYW:

So I heard that the Angels are sent by God to rain fire and brimestones on
sinful humans (way cool idea to start with), and I guess I should assume
that the characters (at least the NERV people) know just as much.
Otherwise why whould they call these MOTWs Angels? Well why the hell
(ahem) there was no one asking questions? Take Shinji, he's whiny about
everything, why doesn't he whine about the source of Angels? Heck, the
four-eyed scientists in Godzilla are smart enough to ask questions! If
they knew it's God, some one should go around yelling Apocolypse (a la
Akira) or worship Golden Ox (a la Genesis) or something.

And if they didn't know about God and Angels, then should they be setting
up some space exploration or something to find some answers and purpose
rather than just dicking around with the material properties of dead
Angels?

The more I watch, the more I felt something important is missing. People
are not reacting right. One day, the whole Earth face Final Apocolypse,
the next day, kids goes to school and ogle at big-tited women.

Bringing it back to OYW, Tomino didn't try to deal with any big
philosophical controversy, but he wasted no time in explaining the theme
and feel of the whole series, all within the short 1 minute intro, even
before we met any characters. And mostly characters react to different
things in sensible ways (refugees cry and despaired, Sayla was haunted,
Amuro got shell-shocked). I call this "psychologically rational" and I
think it's more important than being technologically rational.

Ok ok, I will watch the whole EVA series, because I am a big sucker for
RELIGIOUS CONTROVERSY (with cool mechas to boot!). But I am just whining
about believiablity.

CHIN, Chien Ting
... o O *
Man is a bubble