Re: "the Sun shine from one side first"

Rodrick Su (rsu@wb.com)
Mon, 25 Jan 1999 17:13:25 -0800

At 04:34 PM 1/25/99 , you wrote:
>On Fri, 22 Jan 1999, -Z- wrote:
>> http://gundam.anime.net/world/spacecolony.html
>
>Hey how come i didn't notice that page before? Looking at this line
>about the sturcture of the colony:
>
> "They're divided into six lengthwise strips, three land panels
> alternating with three glass panels through which sunlight enters the
> colony. Thus, this design is sometimes referred to as an open colony.
> Attached to the colony are huge mirrors which reflect light in through
> the glass panels..."
>
>I didn't realize those were mirrors not solar panels! So the colony is
>like a flower that opens towards the Sun?
>
>I've always wonder about a peculiar line from Salya Mass (when she looks
>ravishing in a 1-piece swimsuit on a beach):
>
>"It's so strange that the Sun shine from one side first."
>
>Implying that it's different from the colony. But how??? I always
>thought it's just bad translation (I watch the Chinese version). But
now
>perhaps it make sense, if the colony relies on reflected Sun light and
>always point at the Sun then the Sun will never move! That explains the
>line, but it makes for awfully boring lighting arrangement in the
colony,
>what's in shades is always in shades, and there'd be no night time?!?!
> Or
>you dim the mirror/glass panels somehow?

Mark Simmon had an idea and I concur that the 3 giant reflective mirror
are actually made up of millions of rotating mirrors, with reflective and
non-reflective surfaces. I supposed that a computer control system will
slowly turn the mirror when the day begans and slowly turn to the
non-reflective side when night time approachs. Season can be emuliated
by alternating the length of time when the mirror reflect.

As for the Zeon style close colony, the effect can be similiarly achieve
with the light control of the central light rod.

[ Rodrick Su [ ]