Re: [OT] Re: Syd Mead and "The Phantom Menace"

Prabal Nandy (nandy@U.Arizona.EDU)
Mon, 25 Jan 1999 13:42:17 -0700 (MST)

> period the original movies were made in. However, 'glamorous' may not be
> the intent. Sure it may be the way it looks, but it is probably what Lucas
> refers to as 'elegant'... probably the end of the "more civilized age".
> Seems like after the Empire came to power, unless you were one of the more
> powerful, you were out of luck and got stuck with the 'utilitarian' (read:
> hunk of junk) stuff. Dunno if I really considered 70's to be utilitarian
> in design (that I reserve for the early 80s).

  Yeah, that sounds about right to me.

> > As for MS-design... come on, do you _really_ want a Gundam styled like
> > an old Corvette?
> Probably not... but who knows? If done well enough, it might look kind of
> (dare I say it?) cool...

  Well, there's something to be said for that!

  I guess, what I want as a modeller is a new Gundam series set in the 1YW
with totally retrofitted, super-teched-up looking mecha, all done by
Katoki! I wanna see models of Zak-F2s, GM-N's and all the other kick-butt
stylish bots from 0083!
  But on the other hand, if this is supposed to be a non-giant-robo
retrospective like Tomino has claimed, then I guess I'd be intriqued to
see a show where they have good detailing, but try and evoke the design
ethic of the 1970s again in the designs of the mecha. That could be very
interesting to see as well! After all, what goes around comes around!

                                                                -Probe