Re: south burning

Prabal Nandy (nandy@U.Arizona.EDU)
Mon, 25 Jan 1999 12:35:13 -0700 (MST)

> Burning's GM was damaged during his battle with Cima's Gelgoog. A critical
> piece of machinery began to fail. That's the widget shown in panels 2 and

  Too bad he doesn't have a "Master warning control board". You'd figger
that anything related to an engine or other damagable power source would
have alot of failure-warning sensors all over it!

> If you look closely at panels 2 and 5, you'll notice that the piston is
> extended in panel 2 and retracted in panel 5. In the anime, the operation
> of this "actuator" causes a short-circuit that ignites a flash fire --

  I wonder what it's an actuator for? It would be hilarious if it was a
torso twist or extra macho guesture that set off the fire!

> hence the smoke you see in panels 1 and 3 on page 43 -- that ultimate
> results in the catastrophic failure of the GM's Minovsky-Ionescu fusion
> reactor.

  What's interesting is that these fusion reactors are supposed to be
extreemely controllable and safe! You'd think the first thing that would
happen when something goes wrong like this is (Well, the first thing is
that a "Fire" light should come on!) that the fuel supply to the reactor
would cut-out and the reactor should stop cold!
  Is it possible that Burning's _fuel_ supplies caught fire and what we
saw was a LN/LOX explosion?
                                                                -Probe