Re: Camera and the Mohawk (Was: SOC RX-78 Gundam Pics)

Prabal Nandy (nandy@U.Arizona.EDU)
Mon, 25 Jan 1999 12:24:33 -0700 (MST)

> Tetra. The head and/or backpack antennae on the GM Kai, GM Cannon II, GM
> Custom and Gelgoog Marine are labeled as "communications rod antennae."

  Probably just refers to the shape of the antennae than anything else..

> As for the secondary antennae on the GP01 and GP03S, they're "monitoring
> antennae," whatever that means. Thus, the V-fin supposedly serves the

  Is that like the little thin antenna the GP-01 has coming up one side of
its Mohawk? Interesting! A Monitor-antennae kinda suggests that it's there
to perhaps listen in for _enemy_ communications and home in on them! Might
be useful on land, where, as you've suggested, Comm-antennae are in much
greater use than in space!

> V-fins and Zeon command antennae alike are labeled as the largely
> meaningless "multi-blade antenna," at least up until the GP02A and Gundam
> Mk. II kits, which return to the "communications blade antenna" terminology.

  Mmm.. Well, at least we know they're not part of a phased-array radar
system or something. (Which I would have liked, it would have gone a LONG
way towards explaining why _all_ V-Fins have that diamond-shaped red
decoration at their center.)

> Probably for the same reason that the regular Zaku lacks it, whatever
> that may be. Note that all GM variants have rod antennae on their heads
> or backpacks.

  I think it's very interesting that so many MS have the antennae on their
backpacks... particularly in 0080! It's probably alot less prone to
breakage that way!

> >Ditto the V Gundam and its mass-production counterpart, the V Gundam Hexa.
> The V-Hexa has those big ears instead, which are essentially V-fins on
> steroids.

  Right, and it was used as a command-unit for the Shrikes, right?
  But on the other hand, when the Hexa (and there was only ever one of
these guys, right?) got the regular Gundam-head, wasn't this considered an
Upgrade of the gundam?

> Don't forget the "command" antennae on Zeon's command mobile suits, the
> similar antennae on the Marasai, Barzam, and many Neo Zeon mobile suits,

  Though it always surprised me that the grunt models didn't eventually
all carry similar antennae. I mean, I can't believe they left them off
because of expense!

> >may be antenna less, except the thing has two honkingly huge antennas
> >replacing the oft-broken V-fin (a case of art imitating life, or anime
> Right. These are supposed to be less susceptible to accidental breakage
> than the normal V-fin.

  Of course, it doesn't explain why later gundams go back to the original
V-fin design, though it might slightly explain why the Mk.II has such
enormous Antennae! (Probably this is just an artifact of the MG-ization of
it)

> Supposedly, bulk scattering of Minovski particles was banned by the
> Granada treaty that ended the One Year War (yeah right), so postwar

  Snort!
  That's like a treaty banning ECM or smoke! And why the hell should
anyone sign to that? That's like the treaty ending WWII banning nuclear
weapons!

> mobile suits might well be designed for use in Minovski-free
> environments. Even if you don't have a chance to use the antenna, you
> never know when it might come in handy.

  Which does explain why post 1YW MS have such enormous antennae!
                                                                -Probe