Re: Syd Mead and

Mark Kuettner (mkuett@hotmail.com)
Mon, 25 Jan 1999 10:34:11 PST

>> Noir: The Making of Blade Runner", and he has experience in car
>> design, hired for providing enviroments around the concept cars, and
>
> You'd never know it by looking at the crappy "70's car with loads of
>junk and pipes on the roof" designs he had for BR, along with the
>"Quartz-lamp lit flying objects" that would scoot by at 100Mph before
you
>could get a glimpse of them!

Ridley Scott really was involved in the ideas for BR, more than the
average director would have been, so it was not pure Mead in some
cases. The flying objects in BR are very similiar to the "baby" UFO's
form "Close Encounters of the Third Kind"; Douglass Trumball worked
on the effects for both films so I think he had more to do with those
than Mead, despite Mead being responsible for the "Spinner" police
car in BR.

>> he was paid $1500 a DAY for BR, which was back in the early eighties,
>> so you can only imagine what he is charging for Gundam!!!
>
> Maybe his lack of output in recent years has lowered his price?

With the $ Bandai makes?? BURGLE'EM, SYD!!!!!

>> >always derivative of something else, and the rest of his work seems
>> >conspicuously 'stuck in the 1950s, with a 1990's flair'.
>> 1950's? George Lucas has made a lot of his spaceship design for "The
>> Phantom Menace" look like 1950's car stylings, with lots of chrome
>
> I've definately noticed that, though I'm still reserving some
judgement
>on it... it really has a sort of goony, goofishness which I dislike,
but
>on the other hand, it makes vehicles like the "Sandspeeder" from the
>original SW easier to swallow!

I think it was done to evoke a sense of the past; our past to make
TPM seem like it came before SW...

> I really hope we don't see this in the new Gundam!

Well, it would be better than G Gundam, I'm sure!*just kiddin G-G fans

>> and gloss (Naboo starfighter). Kinda getting back to his "American
>> Graffiti" days, along with the speeder "drag-racing" in the movie.
>
> I know, it sounds really really dumb! I mean, wasn't that the plot of
>"Droids"? The SW-Comedy cartoon spinoff from ROTJ?

Well, I think its just a hobby of Anakin, not the whole movie!! It's
another "American Graffiti" homage, because Lucas used to drag race
as a kid...

>> Interesting departure from the "beat up " look of the fighters in the
>> original movies. Would be a great angle for MS design too
>
> Well, he's just mimicking RL, i.e., the trend from the Glamorous 20's
>(PM) to the utlilitarianism of the late 60's and 70's. Personally, I
>really enjoyed the Beat-Up look of the original series...

But the clean look in TPM makes sense,chronilogically. The Empire is
just forming, and the Jedi Council has been serving justice in the
universe, so everthing is pristine and clean and pure. By the time
of Star Wars: A New Hope, the alliance has been battered and beaten
by the oppressive Empire, reflected in the Rebel Alliance ships. It
makes sense...plus, it makes for a easier job for the CG artists!!!

> As for MS-design... come on, do you _really_ want a Gundam styled
like
>an old Corvette?

I'd let Katoki and maybe Ishigaki take a shot at it....HEY, A NEW
CONTEST FOR THE ML!!!!!! DESIGN A GUNDAM STINGRAY!!

>> > In that sense, he's a great match for Okawara! It would be great
>> >a parody series set in the 1970's anime universe with goony ships by
>> >and goony robots by Okawara, I'd get a kick out of it, and we could
>> >it: "That 70's Robot Show" and it would air on Fox!
>> Yeah! And a model line for it molded in one color with
>> plastic-on-plastic joints!! Ahh, I love this retrocrap!!!
>
> Hey, yeah! It will be just like Brainpowerd!
> -Probe

As soon as I typed retrocrap I knew this was going to be the EXACT
line you would type in response, Probe!

Mark Kai