[OT] Re: Syd Mead and "The Phantom Menace"

Yves Sakai (yves@hawaii.edu)
Mon, 25 Jan 1999 08:28:34 -1000

On Mon, 25 Jan 1999, Prabal Nandy wrote:
> You'd never know it by looking at the crappy "70's car with loads of
> junk and pipes on the roof" designs he had for BR, along with the
> "Quartz-lamp lit flying objects" that would scoot by at 100Mph before you
> could get a glimpse of them!

Dunno... I kinda liked the spinner and the other stuff from that movie.

> > and gloss (Naboo starfighter). Kinda getting back to his "American
> > Graffiti" days, along with the speeder "drag-racing" in the movie.
>
> I know, it sounds really really dumb! I mean, wasn't that the plot of
> "Droids"? The SW-Comedy cartoon spinoff from ROTJ?

Never really watched 'Droids'... but what's so really dumb about drag
racing in a cinematic sense? I haven't read enough about the plot of the
movie to see where this drag racing leads to, do I don't know if it is
really that dumb. Could be anywhere between American Graffiti and Ben Hur.
<shrug>

> > Interesting departure from the "beat up " look of the fighters in the
> > original movies. Would be a great angle for MS design too
>
> Well, he's just mimicking RL, i.e., the trend from the Glamorous 20's
> (PM) to the utlilitarianism of the late 60's and 70's. Personally, I
> really enjoyed the Beat-Up look of the original series...

Is it really the 60's and 70's? I guess it could be because of the time
period the original movies were made in. However, 'glamorous' may not be
the intent. Sure it may be the way it looks, but it is probably what Lucas
refers to as 'elegant'... probably the end of the "more civilized age".
Seems like after the Empire came to power, unless you were one of the more
powerful, you were out of luck and got stuck with the 'utilitarian' (read:
hunk of junk) stuff. Dunno if I really considered 70's to be utilitarian
in design (that I reserve for the early 80s).

> As for MS-design... come on, do you _really_ want a Gundam styled like
> an old Corvette?

Probably not... but who knows? If done well enough, it might look kind of
(dare I say it?) cool...
___
Yves