Re: The title of the new Gundam series!!!

Fri, 22 Jan 1999 15:01:45 -0800 (PST)

> I've never liked any of his work... what he does that's good is almost
> always derivative of something else, and the rest of his work seems
> conspicuously 'stuck in the 1950s, with a 1990's flair'.
> In that sense, he's a great match for Okawara! It would be great to see
> a parody series set in the 1970's anime universe with goony ships by Syd
> and goony robots by Okawara, I'd get a kick out of it, and we could call
> it: "That 70's Robot Show" and it would air on Fox!
>
> -Probe

I'm not sure where you get that idea. I have a couple of his concept
books and the designs he has for buildings, ships, cars, trains, interiors,
etc. are great. He has been in the business for a while and I can see
where some of his designs are stuck in a specific decade but his designs
for movie props and sets are amazing. His work for "Tron", "2010",
"Blade Runner" etc. was unique and I only wish I could draw like that.
I like his work for Japanese amusement park rides and his designs for
future cities and cars, too. Maybe he's not meant to work in anime but
you'd be hard pressed to find a better conceptual artist than him. I
love the original Space Battleship Yamato and I agree that his new one
sucked but then what retard would create a spaceship which can only
defend itself effectively through 180 degrees of an arc instead of the
full 360 degrees necessary in space?

Alfred.

--
"Oh, for mother of fuck..."