Re: <SPOILER> Girens Ambition FMV clips

Edward Ju (gundam@loop.com)
Thu, 21 Jan 1999 14:08:34 -0800

>Eddie writes,
>
>>Thanks to Nicholas Pappas, a Saturn enthusiast, I was able to extract the
>>video portion of the Girens Ambition FMV clips and watch it on my PC (the
>>sound is still messed up and incomprehensible, and my pleas to Mark Simmons
>>for some help on the information relayed on the Japanese websites went
>>unanswered).
>
> Maybe that's because I don't have a PC and thus can't even run any of the
>programs, let alone troubleshoot them. :-)

All I asked was for any sound-related issues mentioned on the webpage which
for some reason Internet Explorer with Japanese support does not properly
display at all on my PC. You obviously could read that page since you
mentioned about the webpage on the ML. ;)

> Most material I've seen indicates that the Gwajin class was indeed around
>at the start of the war. Shindosha's timeline claims that the Gwajin,
>Zanzibar and even Doros class all pre-dated the war, but most sources say
>that the latter two were introduced during the war.

If these ships were indeed around, it seems weird that during the first half
of the original TV series you saw nothing but Musais, including that shot of
Zion's space forces led by Char's MS-06S during the OP song.

> Actually, this is the first thing you see after the prologue if you're
>playing as Federation. It depicts the Antarctic Treaty and Revil's famous
>"There are no warriors in Zeon" speech.

Yeah right... he was just bitter that he joined the wrong side of the war. :)

>>Clip 8:With Zion's earth presence eliminated in Operation Odessa, Ma Kube
>> bails back to space with some help from HLVs.
>
> That jerk! I recently found that, if you follow Kishiria's advice and
>post him to Odessa when the Federation invades, he attempts to nuke Odessa
>whether you win or lose. I successfully defended the base - much easier
>after Ranba Ral took out White Base for me - and Ma Kube blew it up anyway.
>I guess Kishiria's role in the game is to provide consistently bad advice.

So I guess you had no control over Ma Kube's decision. Could you appoint
anyone else to command the Odessa base?

>>Clip 9:Magellans & Salamis ships leaving the EMF Jaburo ship dock for space,
>> where we see Zion fortifying their defenses in Solomon, ending with
>> Dozul talking. You see the Bigzam in the background and the red
>> MS-14B (Johnny Ridden's) in the foreground.
>
> Curious, since he supposedly wasn't at the battle. Maybe the Chimaera
>test group had just stopped in for supplies. ;-)

I think they were just trying to cram as much MSV stuff in there as they can.

>> Clip 15:Giren's making a crowd-pleasing speech (the only one without a happy
>> face is an injured soldier amongst the civilian crowd in Side 3,
>>whose
>> face was obscured by a hat) as Gen. Revell arrives, apparently to
>> negotiate a cease-fire and admitting defeat. I think this is what
>> you will see if Zion wins in the end.
>
> This is the Zeon side's intro, right after the Battle of Ruum clip. Revil
>is returning to the Federation in a stolen Zeon transport ship.

I don't recall seeing it when I played Zeon...

>>Clip 17:I think this is the clip you see after Zion successfully makes their
>> landing on earth during the 1st wave of invasion - we see "arctic"
>> Zakus wearing weather-protection canvas and Ma Kube coming out from
>> the Musai capsule, etc. Then Giren hands over a document for Degin
>> to sign and they had a father-to-son talk, this is probably where
>> Degin makes the Hitler comparison and starts to realize what a monster
>> of a son he had.
>
> Yep. This is the clip you see after you capture Odessa. Note the
>barely-glimpsed Zaku inside Ma Kube's transport; it has his trademark
>"spear-head" antenna, so it's presumably a personalized unit.

Interesting, I need to convert this one to an AVI file so I can view it at
full screen.

>>Clip 18:North America conquered by Zion. Garma holds a parade/review on the
>> streets of NYC as the ex-mayor looks on with disgust. We see squads
>> of Desert Zakus in funky colors (deep purple and red), tanks, and
>> Ramba Ral, Hamon, and a blue MS (not quite a Zaku II but not a Gouf
>> either...).
>
> That's Ranba Ral's Zaku I again, with a number of customizations since we
>last saw it. He now has armor pads on both shoulders, and funky circular
>decorations on the chest. The Desert Zakus, meanwhile, have traditional
>Zaku legs - and shouldn't really be in New York anyway. Since this clip
>plays after you capture both New York and Kilimanjaro, maybe they're meant
>to be in Africa.

Nope. The first shot was of the statue of Liberty, so it had to be NYC.

>>Clip 26:Garma's funeral/Giren's Sieg Zion speech: among his audience
>>includes:
>
> And don't forget the mass of uniformed Zeon soldiers - as the camera pans
>across them, you see Johnny Ridden, Shin Matsunaga, and an eyepatch-wearing
>fellow who just might be Roy Greenwood of Desert Zaku fame.

Wow, I wasn't paying attention! Time to check it out again.

> Thanks for digging these out, Eddie! I'll be sure to let you know if I
>can find any way to get at the audio tracks.

Thanks dude!

Eddie

              .-/ Email: gundam@loop.com .-.
          _.-~ / _____ ______ __ _ _ _ ___ | ~-._
      /..:::::\ http://www.loop.com/~gundam /:::::..\
     \:::::-~ I am an authorized EarthLink Agent. Ask ~-:::::/
      \:-~ me how to switch from your ISP to EarthLink free! ~-:/