Re: <SPOILER> Girens Ambition FMV clips

Mark Simmons (scorpio@best.com)
Thu, 21 Jan 1999 11:15:01 -0800

Eddie writes,

>Thanks to Nicholas Pappas, a Saturn enthusiast, I was able to extract the
>video portion of the Girens Ambition FMV clips and watch it on my PC (the
>sound is still messed up and incomprehensible, and my pleas to Mark Simmons
>for some help on the information relayed on the Japanese websites went
>unanswered).

  Maybe that's because I don't have a PC and thus can't even run any of the
programs, let alone troubleshoot them. :-)

>Clip 1:This is the longest and coolest clip on the disc, basically a prologue
> that recounts the first colony drop and the capturing of Gen. Revell.
> Char's MS-06S and Ramba Ral's blue MS-05 can be seen in action, I am
> not sure if there was a white Zaku II (could be just the glare).

  Yeah, it kinda looks white. As best I can tell, it has white front skirts
and a gray torso, just like the Master Grade Shin Matsunaga Zaku. But
Matsunaga supposedly didn't adopt his white colors until the Battle of
Ruum, so this would be an uncharacteristic continuity error for an
otherwise fanatically researched game.

> Basically after the colony dropped, EMF launched an assualt of cap.
> ships but they were of no threat to Dozul's MS squads.

  We see the Federation armada successfully blasting the falling colony in
half, but they get the butts kicked at the Battle of Ruum.

> One thing that seems like a continuity violation was that we saw the
> red capital ship from Zion (the same kind Delaz used as his flagship)
> several times in the clip, but I thought this ship did not appear until
> the latter half of the war, and Zion had nothing but Musai prior to
> the appearance of White Base?

  Most material I've seen indicates that the Gwajin class was indeed around
at the start of the war. Shindosha's timeline claims that the Gwajin,
Zanzibar and even Doros class all pre-dated the war, but most sources say
that the latter two were introduced during the war.

>Clip 2:This looks like the clip you'd see if EMF wins and Zion loses. At the
> beginning we see a bunch of injured Zion soldiers in a space supply
> transporter (the one of the type that supplied Char's Musai in the
> 2nd or 3rd TV episode), then camera shifts to a peace conference
> between EMF & Zion, with EMF officials with happy faces and Zions look
> bummed after the meeting, and Gen. Revell was making a speech after-
> wards.

  Actually, this is the first thing you see after the prologue if you're
playing as Federation. It depicts the Antarctic Treaty and Revil's famous
"There are no warriors in Zeon" speech.

>Clip 3:EMF engineers were playing with a captured Zaku II in a hangar. Gen.
> Revell used their report in a presentation for a committee of EMF
> bureaucrats in order to convince them that mobile suits are required
> for victory (they didn't look too convinced or interested). The last
> scene shows an engineer explaining the Zaku II's schematics to a bunch
> of scientists/engineers, and when he turns to face us we see Amuro's
> dad (who else?!). This seems to suggest that EMF did not commence MS
> development until AFTER the Zaku II was in active service (i.e. after
> OYW broke out) which appears to be another continuity violation.

  Supposedly, development of mobile suits had begun well before the war,
but it was on the slow track and was based on only anecdotal information
about Zeon's mobile suits. The capture of intact Zakus, and the kickoff of
Operation V, gave the Federation's mobile suit development a massive shot
in the arm, and prototypes of the Gundam and Guncannon were completed just
a few months later.

>Clip 6:Amuro jumps into a Core Fighter but then we see Gundam launching into
> battle against the Gaw and a ton of Topps. The last shot was of a
> landed WB with the Midea next to it, with GunTank & GunCannon standing
> guard. Again, without audio I couldn't figure out what was going on.

  That's probably where White Base first gets resupplied, and the vital
test data is collected and sent back to Jaburo.

>Clip 8:With Zion's earth presence eliminated in Operation Odessa, Ma Kube
> bails back to space with some help from HLVs.

  That jerk! I recently found that, if you follow Kishiria's advice and
post him to Odessa when the Federation invades, he attempts to nuke Odessa
whether you win or lose. I successfully defended the base - much easier
after Ranba Ral took out White Base for me - and Ma Kube blew it up anyway.
I guess Kishiria's role in the game is to provide consistently bad advice.

>Clip 9:Magellans & Salamis ships leaving the EMF Jaburo ship dock for space,
> where we see Zion fortifying their defenses in Solomon, ending with
> Dozul talking. You see the Bigzam in the background and the red
> MS-14B (Johnny Ridden's) in the foreground.

  Curious, since he supposedly wasn't at the battle. Maybe the Chimaera
test group had just stopped in for supplies. ;-)

> Clip 15:Giren's making a crowd-pleasing speech (the only one without a happy
> face is an injured soldier amongst the civilian crowd in Side 3,
>whose
> face was obscured by a hat) as Gen. Revell arrives, apparently to
> negotiate a cease-fire and admitting defeat. I think this is what
> you will see if Zion wins in the end.

  This is the Zeon side's intro, right after the Battle of Ruum clip. Revil
is returning to the Federation in a stolen Zeon transport ship.

>Clip 16:Giren briefs Zion officers as they prepare the first wave of earth
> invasion - I think the drop point was Odessa.

  Yep, that's correct.

>Clip 17:I think this is the clip you see after Zion successfully makes their
> landing on earth during the 1st wave of invasion - we see "arctic"
> Zakus wearing weather-protection canvas and Ma Kube coming out from
> the Musai capsule, etc. Then Giren hands over a document for Degin
> to sign and they had a father-to-son talk, this is probably where
> Degin makes the Hitler comparison and starts to realize what a monster
> of a son he had.

  Yep. This is the clip you see after you capture Odessa. Note the
barely-glimpsed Zaku inside Ma Kube's transport; it has his trademark
"spear-head" antenna, so it's presumably a personalized unit.

>Clip 18:North America conquered by Zion. Garma holds a parade/review on the
> streets of NYC as the ex-mayor looks on with disgust. We see squads
> of Desert Zakus in funky colors (deep purple and red), tanks, and
> Ramba Ral, Hamon, and a blue MS (not quite a Zaku II but not a Gouf
> either...).

  That's Ranba Ral's Zaku I again, with a number of customizations since we
last saw it. He now has armor pads on both shoulders, and funky circular
decorations on the chest. The Desert Zakus, meanwhile, have traditional
Zaku legs - and shouldn't really be in New York anyway. Since this clip
plays after you capture both New York and Kilimanjaro, maybe they're meant
to be in Africa.

>Clip 22:Delaz & Gato went to Giren with a proposition, this is probably where
> they suggest a 2nd colony drop to deal with the stalemate. What does
> not make sense is that the 0083 prolog seems to suggest that the
> bond/alliance between Delaz and Gato did not form until the final
> battle, when Gato boarded Delaz's ship to borrow a RickDom, where
> Delaz convinced Gato to save himself for Zion's rebirth. The clip
> here suggests that they've had a special relationship way before the
> final battle at Abaowaku.

  Yeah, this is a definite continuity error. Delaz was a member of the
royal guard, reporting directly to Giren, while Gato was a member of
Dozul's Space Attack Force. While they could have met prior to that fateful
encounter shown in the 0083 prologue, it's clearly wrong to show him as
Delaz's designated henchman during the war.

>Clip 26:Garma's funeral/Giren's Sieg Zion speech: among his audience includes:

  And don't forget the mass of uniformed Zeon soldiers - as the camera pans
across them, you see Johnny Ridden, Shin Matsunaga, and an eyepatch-wearing
fellow who just might be Roy Greenwood of Desert Zaku fame.

  Thanks for digging these out, Eddie! I'll be sure to let you know if I
can find any way to get at the audio tracks.

-- Mark

Mark Simmons <mailto:scorpio@best.com>