Re: GUNDAM: How does an MS pilot control the MS's hands?

Mark Nguyen (mnguyen@hotmail.com)
Sun, 17 Jan 1999 15:07:36 PST

>Well, it varies depending on /which/ Gundam universe you're talking
about. In G
>Gundam, the pilots are in an exoskeleton frame within the cockpit, and
are wired
>up completely. For all the others, I assume that there are fingerpads
within the
>control sticks of the Mobile Suits that control the fingers based on
how tightly
>the pilot grips...

UC Gundams are generally AMBAC controlled. Which means essentially that
(for example) when you grab a beam saber, you don't physically
manipulate your MS's arm and fingers to do so; rather, you flip a switch
(or pull a trigger) and the computer takes care of it.

Likewise, programs should exist to do things like open/grasp things or
manipulate MS-compliant tech (eg. MS door handles). Other programs would
allow for things like salutes, balled fists, etc. (I've always wanted a
routine that would allow my MS to flip someone a one-fingered salute in
combat ^_^).

When picking up stuff, I'd imagine some sort of control option where a
trigger or switch on the control stick (or ball or cylinder) would
regulate the degree to which the fingers are gripped.

Mark-II