Re: Gundam, Best Kits

dyar@halcyon.com
Sat, 09 Jan 1999 19:12:45 -0800

At 17:09 1/9/99 -0800, you wrote:
>>One problem with the 0080 Gelgoog. The Ball and socket joints at the
>>hips don't fit quite right. I had trouble wit one, and was never able to
>>get it to stay together.
>>
>I have never actually made a 0080 myself, but they always draw
>positive response on this list among modelers. I have heard, though,
>the Gelgoog not being the best of the bunch, so you have a point...

There were nine models in the 0080 series, as follows:

1: MSM-07/E Zugock-E
2: RGM-79C GM-Command (Colony Type)
3: MS-06FZ Zaku-FZ
4: MSM-03/C Hygog
5: MS-09RII Rick-Dom II
6: MS-14JG Gelgoog-J
7: RGM-79GS GM-Command (Space Type)
8: MS-18E Kampfer
9: RX-78NT1 Gundam NT-1

With the exceptions of the Rick Dom and Gundam, that's also the quality
ranking that I would give to the models.

The first three models are wondrous. All of the parts are molded in
exactly the right colors, no painting required, and the finished model is a
beauty and a joy forever.

The Hygog is the first disappointment in the series. The backpack is done
in the same international orange as the missile pods and the Hygog itself
is done in a disconcerting baby blue. The extensible arm gimmick is about
the only thing that saves it. The anime Hygog was a menacing monster to
which the model doesn't do justice. The model looks like a joke if you
build it as-is.

The Rick Dom II, on the other hand, may be the best model in the series.
It's the quintessential Dom, by which all others will be measured. The
colors are just right, although painting the purple parts matte black make
it more realistic, if less true to the source. I didn't particular care
for the Dom before I got this model, but I've come to appreciate Old
Crosseye since.

The flamingo-pink Gelgoog-J, as others have noted, seems to be the bottom
of the totem pole, but that's only because they have such reverence for the
anime Kampfer that they overlook the faults of the model. They are helped
in this by the neat-o factor of the model's many gimmicks: two bazookas,
two shotguns, two panzer fausts and the 12-piece chain mine. But the
Kampfer itself is awful. It's the wrong color, the head has zero mobility
and the legs are awkward -- a real disappointment for someone like me, who
lacks the skill to fix it all.

The Space Type GM seems to be a step back up, but that's only because they
just recycled the Colony Type GM, adding extra nozzles to the backpack and
replacing the machinegun with a beam spray gun. The colors are hideous,
greenish white and orange-red. They took a great model and made a mess of it.

It's hard to hurt a design as good as the Gundam NT-1, especially when it
has a gimmick like the blow-off Chobham armor, but bringing it out last,
when they'd already dropped the quality of the line, they cut some corners
that really hurt it. Stickers for the eyes, when the GM has a clear green
goggle and the Zion MS sport clear red beads. Sticker for the CHIN -- the
entire head was molded in white, so it's either the red sticker or paint
it. But it's either this or do without so, as with the Kampfer.

-Z-