Re: Gundam Fleet Composition Examples

Mark Simmons (scorpio@best.com)
Sat, 9 Jan 1999 16:55:05 -0800

Probe writes,

> Hey, Russian design philosophies!
> Seriously now... after the MSG-era, do _Battleships_ ever play a serious
>role in Gundam again? I can't think of any time when fire from a
>Battleship ever had much effect in a Gundam story.

  After the One Year War, battleships become pretty much just flagships;
you don't really see them making up a large fraction of the fleet until V
Gundam and the Zanscare Empire's Amalthea-class battleship. In contrast,
the Magellan class made up about a fifth of the Federation fleet during
most of the One Year War. After the war, it looks like the Feds just
stopped making them.

> Do those two really 'count', i.e., can they be maintained and serviced
>in that location or are they just in a 'ready to launch' position?

  Yep, they count. The Ahgama's two "upstairs" dollies are fixed in
position, rather than being movable platforms for shuttling mobile suits
to and fro.

> Though the Alexandria-type cruiser we see in 0083 doesn't carry any,
>right? (I may be getting some names confused again.)

  The ship in 0083, the Birmingham, is actually a downsized Dogos Gear -
it's just 400 meters, versus the 600+ of the Titans flagship. And, yes,
it carries no mobile suits. Remember, much of 0083 is predicated on the
notion that the Federal Forces are idiots. ;-)

> I guess they were just crammed in Cargo holds then? Then they really
>didn't have any hangars or 'resupply' areas where they could be serviced?
>That's like flying F/A-18s off of supertankers! Sure you can do it...
>_once_!

  Supposedly, the carrier Columbus has some modifications for supplying
and servicing mobile suits, but they're mostly intended just for bringing
mobile suits to the battlefield - not for extended missions involving
multiple sorties. The best analogy would be amphibious landing craft for
infantry, with the thousands of Columbus-carried GMs and Balls in
Operation Star One performing the space equivalent of the D-Day landing
at Normandy (including the high casualty count). "Saving Ensign Shin,"
anybody?

> How many GD-Ss might there have been? It sounds like there were a couple
>of squads of GDs with at least 10 or so commanders in charge... right?

  You'd probably have one squadron commander for every 9-12 Gira Dogas,
so there's be no more than ten such commander mobile suits.

-- Mark