Re: Gundam Fleet Composition Examples

dyar@halcyon.com
Sat, 09 Jan 1999 13:50:29 -0800

At 09:39 1/9/99 -0700, you wrote:
>> build hundreds of postwar Salamis cruisers with upgrades on every front,
>> while still omitting mobile suit capacity, is kinda weird - but they made
>> them two-thirds the size that the Salamis is in other series.
>
> Maybe they should have called them "Bratworsts" instead of Salamis!

"Salamis" is NOT the plural of "salami"!

Sal·a·mis (sal'-[shwa]-mus) is an island of Greece in the Saronic Gulf east
of Athens. On 9 September 480 BC, the Greek city of Athens was besieged
and burned by the Persians, but the Athenians, under general Themistocles
and Aristides, who had recently been recalled from exile, defeated the
Persian fleet in an important naval battle in the Bay of Salamis, off the
island's northeast coast. The Persian army retired to winter in Thessaly.

The Greek naval victory at the Battle of Salamis halted the advance of King
Xerxes I of Persia. By some accounts, Athenian general Themistocles sent a
secret message to Xerxes, saying that his Athenian navy would turn against
Greece if the Persians attacked. Xerxes, perhaps fooled by this ploy,
attacked with his fleet of about 1200 ships. The Greek fleet of about 400
ships drew the Persian ships into the crowded strait before attacking. The
battle was a decisive victory for the outnumbered Greeks.

-Z-