Re: Gundam Fleet Composition Examples

Prabal Nandy (nandy@U.Arizona.EDU)
Sat, 9 Jan 1999 09:39:46 -0700 (MST)

> build hundreds of postwar Salamis cruisers with upgrades on every front,
> while still omitting mobile suit capacity, is kinda weird - but they made
> them two-thirds the size that the Salamis is in other series.

  Maybe they should have called them "Bratworsts" instead of Salamis!
  At any rate, it seems utterly ridiculous and totally at odds with the
way the Fed are portrayed in Gundam MSG. I mean, they don't do frivolous
random military spending, they've always seemed cash-strapped to me!
Building hundreds of Battleships after the war makes about as much sense
as the US building twenty more Iowa-Class battleships in 1946!

> Unclear; it may be that the extra space in the Radish is for
> conventional battleship features, while the MS decks stay the same size.

  Hey, Russian design philosophies!
  Seriously now... after the MSG-era, do _Battleships_ ever play a serious
role in Gundam again? I can't think of any time when fire from a
Battleship ever had much effect in a Gundam story.

> The Ahgama carries eight mobile suits - six downstairs, and two more
> upstairs next to the elevators and catapult connectors - which is quite a

  Do those two really 'count', i.e., can they be maintained and serviced
in that location or are they just in a 'ready to launch' position?

> lot for a ship that size. 'Course, the Alexandria-class cruiser used by
> the Titans does carry ten...

  Though the Alexandria-type cruiser we see in 0083 doesn't carry any,
right? (I may be getting some names confused again.)

                                                                -Probe