Re: Deep Impact 0079 (Was: Gundam Fleet Composition Examples)

Prabal Nandy (nandy@U.Arizona.EDU)
Fri, 8 Jan 1999 20:51:29 -0700 (MST)

> > What I mean is that the hypersonic shockwave from the 'bow' of the 30-km
> >colony as it slams into the Earth will shoot back through the colony and
> >may actually cause the 'tail' of the colony itself to explode while it's
> That may be what happened during Operation British. The Iffish Island
> colony that was dropped from Side 5 (L1 during the One Year War, moved to
> L4 some time prior to 0087) toward Jaburo broke up in the atmosphere,
> scattering several large pieces across North America before about half of

  It makes some sense, and it helps explain the big huge 'chunks' of
colonies that seem to haphazardly litter the landscape in 0083, etc.
Besides, it's kinda neat!

> >which is incorrect if it's in an _orbit_. The potential energy of the high
> >altitude orbit is dissippated by whatever mechanism (thrusters/nukes/etc)
> >is used to slow down the object, effectively reducing its energy and
> >gradually dropping its orbit.
> Well, the colony was guided toward its target, which may have required some
> of the energy to be dissipated to achieve the desired trajectory, but
> essentially a colony/asteroid drop is no different than any other meteoric

  That is naturally true, but it appears that colonies are slowly 'braked'
into a decaying orbit rather than 'shot' at the Earth in a steep
Hyperbolic trajectory..... the reason for this would (logically) be an an
almost guaranteed controlled (Targettable) impact on the Earth as opposed
to a faster, but more haphazard impact (with the added possibility of
'skipping' off the atmosphere.).

                                                                -Probe