Re: [OT] MS Gun, Damn!

Prabal Nandy (nandy@U.Arizona.EDU)
Fri, 8 Jan 1999 20:47:39 -0700 (MST)

> "MICROSOFT BUYS GAMEMAKER--Redmond--Microsoft Corp. will buy Chicago-based
> FASA Interactive Technologies Inc., maker of "BattleTech" computer games.
> By puchasing FASA and its parent company, Virtual Worlds Entertainment

  Yeah, word about this has been going down on the HG mailing list for the
last couple of months...

> No mention of the non-computer RPGs and its attendent library of gamebooks
> and novelizations (42 at last count, with three more due in March, May and
> August this year), not to mention the animated TV series and toy

  That's because they bought FASA _IT_.
  They didn't buy _FASA_.

  What this means is they only got the CG-part of the much larger FASA
company, they didn't get any of the pen-and-paper RPGing parts of the
company or the novel-part or any of the rest of the company. They only
killed off the mechwarrior video-gaming part.

> merchandizing. I expect they'll try an graft the high-end BT games into
> their gaming network and pretty much ignore the rest of the biz.

  I agree. That's why they just bought the Interactive Technology and VW
part... they don't care about the RPG or novels (and rightly so!)

> Well, maybe they'll need online documentation in HTML Help....

  GRIN! Do you think Microsoft needs any MORE HTML help? These from the
guys who alter their sites on an hourly basis? GRIN!
                                                                -Probe