Re: Gundam Fleet Composition Examples

Prabal Nandy (nandy@U.Arizona.EDU)
Fri, 8 Jan 1999 15:19:42 -0700 (MST)

> Hmm.. I wonder how long MS actually remain *in service* before being
> scrapped or replaced, even if only by another one if its kind. It's been
> repreatedly shown that MS maintenance is a nightmare; what could the
> average "life" of a mobile suit be, even with top mechanics working on

  I'll wager not too many years at all! Of course, we keep seeing
refurbished GMs all over the place, but who knows how many new parts and
new components they're sporting! On the other hand, in F-91 the wacky kids
ended up driving around an ancient transforming Gundtank from a MUSEUM,
right?

> Though it's not particularly relavant or realistic, it's worth pointing
> out that most of the MS in Gundam X are more than 15 years old. And they
> work fine right out of the box!

  Hell, a _car_ won't even work if you don't maintain or drive it for 15
years! How can you expect something as complex as a MS to still work?

> >flying out the butt of the colony and being literally _injected_ into
> >the stratosphere. The Earth can handle alot of crap in the Troposphere,
> >but once it gets beyond the Tropopause it will take centuries to get
> Hm... All this theory is changing my opinion that a colony drop wouldn't
> have as similar effects as the K/T event rock/comet... In fact, it's
> altogether possible that a 30 km cylinder would definiitely keep Earth
> resident VERY unhappy for a long time.

  I think a 30KM cylinder would have devastating effects on wherever it
impacted, plus certainly effects in the atmosphere worse than Krakatoa!
(I.e., snow all year round, even in tropical climates, bitter cold
winters, no food can grow, not enough sunlight, etc).

> >been vaporized or pulverized... unless we're looking at big chunks of
> >material that were blasted off the rear of the colony by the internal
> >shock front....
> Or alternatively, big chunks of colony that broke off earlier and plowed
> in later... For example, in the 0083 drop you don't see the colony's
> solar panels as it passes of Kowen's noggin...

  That's a very good point.
  Big hunks of colony could be falling down all over the place as the
colony re-enters the Earth's atmosphere. It makes sense.

> >another 30KPS when you're talking about a tetraton of rock and metal
> >screaming through the gravity well?
> Good point. And from what we've talked about, it seems that *any* colony
> or asteroid drop should have been really unpleasant even as far on as
> V-Gundam. Ah, those nutty anime writers...

  Heh heh heh, that's right!
  The Earth of V-Gundam should have had temperatures hovering between -20
and -30 F even in the Summer, with snow everywhere and probably large
parts of Asia and North America completely uninhabitable. Most animals
would be dead or dying, and very narrow 'green-belts' (in the American
Mohave Desert and in Iran/Iraq and China) would be the only major sources
of food left. A pretty dismal place, closer to the Earth of "Jovian
Chronicles" than the happy-fun-clean-and-green wonderland of V-Gundam's
Earth!

                                                                -Probe