Re: Gundam Fleet Composition Examples

Mark Nguyen (mnguyen@hotmail.com)
Thu, 07 Jan 1999 23:35:24 PST

> I totally agree.
> Considering what its service life becomes, you'd expect it to be a
total
>kick-butt GM in CCA, which is when it first appears! If it wasn't,
well,
>why would it have lasted that long? (I guess it's possible it's just
>really cheap and easy to maintain).

Without "Hathaway's Flash", from 0093 to 0123 you don't have much
large-scale conflict. No conflict = no high-speed military advancement
historically, so...

> That's not what I'm talking about.
> What I mean is that the hypersonic shockwave from the 'bow' of the
30-km
>colony as it slams into the Earth will shoot back through the colony
and
>may actually cause the 'tail' of the colony itself to explode while
it's
>still high in the atmosphere!

Gads, didnt think about that. But wouldn't it be relatively small in
comparison to the expanding sphere of rock, dust and stuff extending
from the impact point?

> No, you're thinking of simply 'dropping' an object from a high
altitude,
>which is incorrect if it's in an _orbit_. The potential energy of the
high
>altitude orbit is dissippated by whatever mechanism
(thrusters/nukes/etc)
>is used to slow down the object, effectively reducing its energy and
>gradually dropping its orbit.

Again, you're right (how do you argue space physics with a JPL guy?
^_^). This would be the cse in CCA; however, wouldn't colonies (assuming
they came from Sides 3 or 5) come in on a more linear course than being
inserted into orbit prior to a drop? Or is that up to the drop-ers?

Mark-II