Re: Gundam Fleet Composition Examples

Enigma298@aol.com
Thu, 7 Jan 1999 19:25:07 EST

In a message dated 07/01/99 22:30:50 GMT, you write:

<< While I'm at it, when the thing hit Tibet, You have to wonder about the
 lasting global repercussions that were apparently ignored. Tibet is at a
 very high altitude, and most of the rock up there would be very old (the
 local mountains were pushed up there by the Indian subcontinent) and
 brittle (all that cold, with lots of rock ice fracturing and aeolian
 weathering over millions of years).

 [My degree is in environmental physics, with a focus on kinetics and
 geology; go figure :P]

 Anyway, when the rock hit, tens of thousands of tons of rock would have
 been vapourized on impact. This is assuming that a largely nickel-iron
 asteroid impacted at minimal velocity, ie. by "dropping" it out of a
 decaying low orbit. This was apparently not the case, as they used Nukes
 to slow it down from a much higher orbit. Destruction of rock occurs
 through kinetic impact, superheated explosion of water-ice within the
 fractured metamorphic rock, and a bunch of other stuff I can't quite
 remember.

 A substantial portion of the dust and heat is thrown into the
 atmosphere, and a lot more makes it into the stratosphere where it's
 tough to get down, due tothe high altitude of the impact area; this is
 in addition to all the material that burnt off during atmospheric
 descent. This dust would spread far and fast all over the planet,
 turning the sky a smoggy blue-brown. Temperatures would drop, seasons
 would alter, and stuff would be generally unpleasant for quite some
 time.

What about the effects of the colony drop on the earth in 0083 ? The colony
hit a largely uninhabited area of North America if I remember, and I would
imagine a metallic structure capable of housing several million inhabitants
would have cause some lasting environmental damage.

Shane.