Re: Gundam Fleet Composition Examples

Mark Simmons (scorpio@best.com)
Wed, 6 Jan 1999 19:51:34 -0800

Mark Nguyen writes,

>Personally, I think the 0083 retocons are some of the better ones Ive
>seen. They seem to have been mothballed in favor of MS-equipped
>refits/newbuilds, though.

  They _look_ cool enough - though the notion that the Federation would
build hundreds of postwar Salamis cruisers with upgrades on every front,
while still omitting mobile suit capacity, is kinda weird - but they made
them two-thirds the size that the Salamis is in other series.

>This I didn't know... Did she carry more MS than the Agama?

  Unclear; it may be that the extra space in the Radish is for
conventional battleship features, while the MS decks stay the same size.
The Ahgama carries eight mobile suits - six downstairs, and two more
upstairs next to the elevators and catapult connectors - which is quite a
lot for a ship that size. 'Course, the Alexandria-class cruiser used by
the Titans does carry ten...

>Were there records of regular Fed forces engaging Neo Jion? We see lots
>of Salamis and GMIII MS towards the end. What were they doing in the
>interm?

  Sitting around with their thumbs up their butts, in accordance with
Gundam tradition. After the Luna Two garrison are overrun by Char's
fleet, the survivors throw in with the Londo Bell, and at the very end an
orbital fleet shows up to help.

>Sorry to bug you like this, but not all of us have the super-sought
>after EB #37 of the Gundam ships... :) How many MS did the Dorgos Gear
>carry, anyway? The Lar Kaillum seemed to carry about 10, while later on
>it apparently gets reduced to 6. The Crap-class and variants are stuck
>with a single team of three all the way through, though.

  No idea on the Dogos Gear, but given that it's twice the size of the
Alexandria class, you'd expect it to hold a lot. I'd guess maybe 30 or
40, which would constitute a complete fighting group.

  The Lar Kailum class carries six mobile suits in V Gundam, while the
Crap carries four. Meanwhile, the Space Ark in F91 carries four; V
Gundam's Reinforce, which is basically the same type of ship, carries an
extra two thanks to its expanded hangar.

  Given that the Londo Bell has 20 mobile suits at full strength - 18
Jegans, the Re-GZ and the Nu Gundam - and that a Crap can carry four
mobile suits, it stands to reason that the Lar Kailum must be able to
squeeze in eight.

  By the same reasoning, Char's 85 mobile suits might be divvied up into
six per Musaka (there are thirteen of these ships in all), with the
Reyullura holding the extra seven. If the Musaka only holds five mobile
suits, the Reyullura would have to carry twenty, which seems clearly
preposterous.

-- Mark