Re: A call for enlightenment

Mark Simmons (scorpio@best.com)
Wed, 6 Jan 1999 18:13:03 -0800

Justin Palmer writes,

> Did Anavel Gato also fly one? In the opening flashback OYW scene
>in Gundam 0083, we see a close up of a Gelgoog. When the scene cuts to
>the interior of the hangar bay, though, we see Gato about to board what
>I presume is a Rik-Dom. I always assumed that the shot of the Gelgoog
>was a shot of Gato in action, with the hangar scene occurring after he'd
>returned to base for whatever reason. I'm not so sure, now...
>(snip)

  Yes, correct. The first episode of 0083 opens with a prologue that takes
place during the Battle of A Bao A Qu, on the last day of the One Year War.
Gato is fighting in a Gelgoog - generally identified as an MS-14S like
Char's, which means that it should be one of the 25 prototypes - and loses
one arm in combat. He heads for the nearest ship, which is Delaz's
battleship Gwaden, and starts getting into a spare Rick Dom (actually drawn
as a Dom Tropen in Rick Dom colors), when Delaz talks him out of it and
convinces him to run away and take up the battle later.

  If Gato is really flying a prototype Gelgoog, then that's strong evidence
for his having missed the Battle of Solomon, as none of the Ace Corps
pilots were present at this battle - in fact, only a dozen even made it to
A Bao A Qu. Not to mention that he doesn't have a flashback of the Battle
of Solomon - when he declares "Solomon, I have returned!", he flashes back
to A Bao A Qu instead. Hmm.

  Nonetheless, the 0083 novels - edited by the series scenarist - claim
Gato was indeed at Solomon. Take your pick.

  Either way, Gato's presence at the Battle of Solomon isn't necessary to
justify his nickname. Shin Matsunaga, the White Wolf of Solomon, wasn't at
the battle either. Rather, Matsunaga earned his name from months of sorties
against the Federation fleet; as Zeon's foremost space outpost, Solomon was
the departure point for most of Zeon's space operations during the latter
half of the war. The same could easily be true of Gato, who was likewise a
member of Dozul's Space Attack Force and was likewise stationed at Solomon.

Probe writes,

> I was always under the impression that the Gouf was simply the "New Zak"
>(I.e., both ground and space fighting unit) in the pre-GM era. Once the
>GMs came around, the Goufs were instantly obsolete...

  Nope, the Gouf was always intended for ground combat only, as a
replacement for the MS-06J. It was obsoleted not by the GM, but by the
quicker-than-anticipated development of the MS-09 Dom.

> My impression was that the MS-11 Acht Zaku was basically a souped up
>space-superiority Gouf... basically a little better than a Zak-R and the
>farthest the Zions could push the Zaku design technology.

  The Acht Zaku's pedigree is mysterious. It was one of four prototypes
developed by the Pezun Project, a quickie effort to match the Federation's
mobile suit technology that presumably completed its work before the advent
of the Gelgoog and Gann. The Acht Zaku's major distinguishing feature is
that it has magnetic coating, which has prompted some Japanese fans to
speculate that it must therefore also use the Federation's "field motor"
system for its joints. It shows up in Z Gundam, where it gets to use a beam
rifle, though the Z Gundam version may have received a generator upgrade
like the MSVs that appear in ZZ.

  The other three Pezun designs are the MS-10 Pezun Dowadge, an improved
version of the Dom; the MS-12 Gigan, a wheeled artillery mobile suit
inspired by the Guntank; and the MS-13 Gigan, a land version of the Zugok.
There's a Japanese Web site that offers detailed and plausible, though
apparently non-canonical, explanations for why each of these projects was
ultimately cancelled; see <http://kiwi-us.com/~amigo/1000MS/index.htm>.

> The MS-09 was always slated to be the advanced ground-Zaku replacement
>from what I remember, while the MS-09R Rick Dom is the stopgap
>space-superiority version, though it was never specifically designed for
>that. (Suprisingly, they never outfitted it with beam weapons or anything
>significantly different from the 'zooks they give the ground versions).

  Not only was its generator insufficient to use beam weapons, but the
Zeons hadn't even developed E-cap technology yet, restricting beam weapons
to water-cooled, high-powered amphibious mobile suits. Remember, this is
the feature that delayed completion of the Gelgoog for a good couple of
months.

Sean Maroney writes,

>now if we could get him to do that
>with all the other Mobile Suits out there... (Evil laugh, please.)

  I should get to all the One Year War mobile suits in the course of the MS
Classics series, but it'll take me a while. Right now, the weekly schedule
indicates the RX-78-2 will arrive first thing in April - just in time for
the 20th anniversary! - and the Dom some time in July. At this rate, I
won't get to the Gelgoog until maybe October or November...

>Yet again I can find enough German WWII references to make life
>interesting. The Germans did the same thing with their ace pilots with
>JV 44. They could have been used elsewhere to help the newbies in all
>the other units. Nothing like having only 20 hours of flight time and
>being expected to hold off the Allied air forces.

  Once again, the MSV writers pilfered from real-world military history!
Guess it does lend it that authentic military feel. :-)

Eddie writes,

>Did the reprints of these kits have the corrected code number, or are they
>still mis-numbered as MS-11? I know they "fixed" it in the catalog, but I
>think my kits in my collection are all numbered MS-11, although I don't
>remember if mine were originals or reissues.

  Golly, I didn't know they'd even re-released these...

-- Mark
Mark Simmons <mailto:scorpio@best.com>

Collecting is for butterflies and stamps.
And at least butterfly collectors take 'em out of the jar.