Re: Gundam Fleet Composition Examples

Prabal Nandy (nandy@U.Arizona.EDU)
Tue, 5 Jan 1999 21:56:37 -0700 (MST)

> > There's no way you can control a _nuclear_ blast with a simple magnetic
> This is called nuclear pulse propulsion. It's a legitimate proposal for
> space travel, and is used in the Gundam world to move large asteroids like

  Well, I don't remember what they used to propell Axis, but I wasn't
under the impression that they were using 'focused' nuclear blasts or
something like that. It's more like a controlled chain-reaction of
relatively low power over a long legnth of time rather than a giant
charge... right?

> particles... like, say, the helium-3 fusion reaction used in mobile suit
> reactors. Such a weapon would just be a leaky mobile suit reactor, with
> perhaps extra tweaks to the magnetic field to accelerate and focus the
> blast.

  You'd need the mag-field to be as powerful as the nuclear reaction
itself! This is no easy feat at all.

> While I've found no text to support the theory that this is how the
> GP02's bazooka works, it sure matches the animation; I don't see no
> friggin' warhead shooting out of that barrel.

  But what are the _nozzles_ on the back of the GP-02A's nuclear-bomb for
then?
  And if it _was_ a massive controlled nuclear pulse blast, how come the
GP-02 wasn't launched backwards at an incredibly high speed?

                                                                -Probe