Missile guidance (Was Re. What I've learned from Giren's Greed)

Chris Beilby (cbeilby@earthlink.net)
Tue, 05 Jan 1999 16:05:18 -0800

Prabal Nandy wrote:

> > > radiation. I can buy a $9 laser-pointer from "Target" and stick that on
> > > the end of a missile and have it always pointing at the mothership and
> > > 'burst downloading' data as it flies.
> > > But that isn't really necessary. Just use a "Space Tomahawk" given an
> > > image of its target to hit!
> > Perhaps, but remember how much beam scatter that there is with lasers. Plus, the
> > firing platform has to remain absolutely still or it loses signal and control...
>
> If we can have student built satellites built from radio-shack
> technology TODAY (A team of which I am an advisor for) with
> laser-communications systems onboard communicating with ground stations,
> rest assured that in 200 years we should _still_ have the technology to
> put it on a missile! (Which I'll bet is NOT 50 kilometers away and moving
> at Mach 23+!)
>
> -Probe

Except you still have to take into account, at least in Gundam, other objects that might
cause LOS. Debris, Mobile Suits... Also, ships would be taking evasive action...