Re: Gundam Fleet Composition Examples

Prabal Nandy (nandy@U.Arizona.EDU)
Mon, 4 Jan 1999 19:57:29 -0700 (MST)

> >0079 - In the first G Novel, the Pegasus was part of the 13th Autonomous
> >Unit: in formation, the Pegasus was preceeded by a flagship, the
> >Magellan-class battleship Hal, and followed port and starboard by the
> >Salamis-calss cruisers Cisco and Saphron. A sextet of those
> >dorky-looking Public Attack Ships were deployed in a wedge formation

  Ten ships then...
  Sounds like basically a Battleship in the lead, followed by the carrier,
two cruisers to the sides, and a cordon of six destroyers. Makes sense for
a "Squad" of ships but it seems pretty bare.

> That's the novel, though. In the animation, the implication is that
> battle fleets are groups of 25 or so; that's the approximate size of the

  That sounds better to me. The group mentioned above sounds more like an
"Expeditionary Task Force" or something like that. I.e., a small fast
group for specific missions.

> >0083 - In episode 5, the Albion linked up with two Salamis-class
> >cruisers which preceeded her in close formation.

  Funny, I don't remember that in Ep#5. Hm.
  The Albion and other WB ships are the _only_ ships of that era to carry
the M-Craft system, right?

> Meanwhile, the Delaz fleet consists of 15 or so ships (with an equal
> number of supply ships), and Cima's group and the Axis advance fleet are

  Of course, I don't think we've ever seen any of the supply ships
in the anime right? The Feds have a "Columbus" class supply ship, right?

> each about 8 ships. Technically, a group of four ships would constitute a
> squadron, so Delaz's fleet probably constitutes a full-sized fleet (i.e.

    Hmm... how many 'fleets' did Zion have anyway? I mean, I thought there
were never more than 100 or so capitol ships on either side, right?

> four squadrons of four ships). Cima and the Axis advance fleet, on the
> other hand, are a bit small to qualify as true fleets. All of these include

  They're basically "Squads" in my opinion....

> one flagship (Delaz's Gwaden, Cima's Lili Marlene, the Axis fleet's Gwaban)
> and a whole lotta Musais, plus Pazock-class transports and Papua-class
> supply ships.

  One wonders how Cima got supplies for her ships between '80-83! Space
pirate?
  I guess the Musai is basically like the Salamis, a light-cruiser
class-wise, right?

> >0087 - The Agama was accompanied my the Salamis-class Mont Blanc, and
> >later by that Irish-class carrier. Typically, the escort (?) was
> >preceeding the Agama far to port or starboard.

  Did this go on for the whole series? And if so, did the Escort ever
really protect the Aghama? How did the Irish-class ship compare to the
Aghama-class ship?

> And for the Jaburo attack, the AEUG fields seven Salamis-class cruisers,
> the Ahgama and the Radish - a group of similar size to Cima's or the Axis
> advance fleet.

  Basically a small squad of ships.
  Seriously though, don't you think the Fed government and people would be
very concerned that this 'rebel' group AEUG had _capitol_ ships in its
aresenal? I mean, it's like if someone just decided to steal the US 7th
fleet and launch attacks on America! From what I've seen of ZG, the
political situation is considerably more subdued.

> >0093 - Can't remember, but the Lar Kaillum had a half dozen or so of
> >those nifty Crap-class carriers around it.
> Only at the end. The regular Londo Bell force is just the Lar Kairam and
> three Crap-class cruisers; the extra ships are stragglers from Luna Two.

  How does the Lar compare to the Aghama and other MS carriers? A three
cruiser escort with nothing else seems kinda light to me!

> Meanwhile, Char has the Reyullura and thirteen Musaka-class cruisers. He

  A flagship (Guaden-type?) and thirteen cruisers versus one carrier and
three cruisers? Augh! The Musaka is basically just an updated Musai,
right?

> is similar to how Delaz splits his forces between a small flagship group to
> escort the colony, and a larger cruiser force to attack Solomon.

  Makes sense animation wise... you have the big cool ship and just a few
backup ships to draw for the rest of the show!

                                                                -Probe