Re: What I've learned from Giren's Greed...

Alfred Urrutia (alfredu@fa.disney.com)
Mon, 4 Jan 1999 13:44:58 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 4, 12:48pm, Prabal Nandy wasted bandwidth discussing:
> Subject: Re: What I've learned from Giren's Greed...

> That's a good point.
> After all, it kinda ruins the 'dramatic feel' of anime to show a couple
> Cap ships followed by scads of support, fuel and supply ships... it makes
> it look like the Heroes have far more warships then they really do!
>
> And in defense of the anime/movies, you'd expect all support vessels to
> 'hang back' in a combat situation so naturally you'd never see them during
> action/battle scenes. Ships would 'retreat' to the support line to be
> resupplied.
> On the other hand, you'd expect the White Base and other ships to do
> 'end-run' attacks where they cut behind the Zion fleet and wipe out all
> their fuel/supply ships instead of fighting the enemy head on. I don't
> think this ever happens in Gundam, though we do see copious use of large
> airships (On the Fed side at least) for resupply in the field.

You're right but I was also considering those times in between battles when
the fleet would be one cohesive unit. Don't they have mail ships, armament
resupplies? They can't have to go back to base for that every time in the
middle of a war (that would be the support ships' job).

> Well, in SW one can always argue that SDs simply kick butt and are big
> enough to carry "Submarine" levels of supplies for extended duty. In
> Gundam I'm not sure you could say that.

Not in the SW books you can't and the rebels had their hospital frigate
and I'm sure other non-combatant ships in ROTJ being attacked. In Gundam
they tend to be more "real" than SW (the space colonies, the reliance on
maneuvering jets on mobile suits, etc.) that I would expect their fleets
to more closely follow a modern military grouping, one/two capital ships
and a load of support ships, screening ships, etc.

> Yes and no.
> Space is big but M-Particle defenses make it so that you must close very
> close to the enemy to detect/attack him. So in effect space becomes small
> again!
> As for every ship having MS, I think by the ZG era this does in fact
> become the case. Even the silly Salamis destroyers get I think a single-MS
> hangar.

I am assuming that mobile suits are more maneuverable than the capital ships,
meaning that the mobile suits would take the role of F-14s have for their
carriers, long-range protection umbrella, especially if radar is useless. If
there's no advance visual warning then sneak attacks would be common in that
scenario. Sort of like WWII carrier wars with scout planes and massed
attacks coming with only a minute or so warning.

> > could they lock onto? If it's visual then mobile suits sound like the
> > best weapon at those distances to me.
>
> Well, there _ARE_ TV guided missiles and drones even _today_ so one must
> wonder why they're not in use in Gundam. (Gundam came long before those
> kinds of weapons, and it simply hasn't been updated since then. After
> all, who can take these huge "IMAX" cockpits seriously when we have VR
> technology today? In Gundam's time, a whole wraparound TV system must
> have seemed way cool!).

TV guided how, though? I mean, if they're sending images back to the fleet,
which I assume are in their own cloud of M-particles, how is that band of
waves getting through? And, once they enter the particle cloud of the
enemy fleet they must be considered fire-and-forget missles since they can
no longer be guided from the source? Maybe they have pattern recognition
guidance.

Ya, that does seem like a waste of space in the cockpit but maybe they
didn't want to risk overloading their pilots' brains if there were a short
or too much information (I'm retconning a reason here)?

Alfred.

--
"This isn't Digital Domain."

- understatement of the year