Re: A call for enlightenment

Mark Simmons (scorpio@best.com)
Mon, 4 Jan 1999 12:32:22 -0800

Sean Maroney asks,

>A request to all the tech-heads of the mailing list. Being the savage
>that I am, I have little knowledge of written Japanese. This makes
>reading all the wonderful technical data on my favorite Mobile Suits
>impossible with the books I have. The Mecha Domain has been a godsend
>for the statistical data, but somewhat lacking on the meat of the
>subject. Here is my request... Do any of you know any thing about the
>development history, operational use, etc. of the MS-14 family of Mobile
>Suits? Spare no detail!

  Ha ha ha! As you wish...

DEVELOPMENT HISTORY

Development of the mobile suit we now know as the Gelgoog began in April of
UC 0079, as a successor to the MS-06 Zaku series for use in space - while
the MS-07 Gouf, and then the MS-09 Dom, were to take over for the Zaku on
the ground. Initial development proceeded under the model number MS-10, but
in reaction to the Earth Federation's RX mobile suits (which first entered
battle in September 0079, though Zeon may have obtained intelligence on
them a little earlier), the project was radically revamped to counter the
enemy's beam weapon technology. At this point, the MS-10 project had yet to
result in a complete prototype, but some parts had been completed - for
example, the MS-06R-2 High Mobility Zaku uses the generator from the
scuttled MS-10.

  Anticipating that the redesign of the next-generation space mobile suit
would be substantially delayed by the incorporation of beam weapon
technology, the Zeonic Company's developers restarted the project with the
model number MS-14 (freeing up the model numbers MS-10 through MS-13 for
the contemporaneous Pezun Project). As an interim replacement for the aging
Zaku, Zeon considered the MS-06R-2 High Mobility Zaku and the MS-R09, a
space version of the Zimmad Company's successful MS-09 Dom; the latter was
chosen for mass production, pending the Gelgoog's arrival.

  As it turned out, the completion of the Gelgoog and its beam weapons took
a couple of months. In the last weeks of the war, a total of 25 YMS-14
trial units were produced; one of these was given to Captain Char Aznable,
the famous "Red Comet," while the other 24 were assigned to a
specially-formed test corps of ace pilots. For the last month of the war,
this elite "Ace Corps," based around the Zanzibar-class mobile cruiser
Chimaera, fine-tuned the Gelgoog, tested new equipment options, and
practised combat manuevers. However, this took the members of the Ace Corps
out of the front lines during a critical phase of the war; it was only at
the final Battle of A Bao A Qu that a squadron of Ace Corps pilots actually
entered combat. Among the members of this test corps were Johnny Ridden,
Thomas Kurtz, and Gerald Sakai.

  Meanwhile, mass-production of the Gelgoog began, with essentially no
changes from the YMS-14 trial version. The primary production lines were at
A Bao A Qu, and most of the available units were sent into battle during
the Federation's assault on this space fortress - in the hands, however, of
inexperienced student pilots and raw recruits. The total production run
numbered 83 standard MS-14A units, 67 booster-equipped MS-14B units, and 15
beam cannon-equipped MS-14C units, plus a handful of last-minuted variants
such as the MS-14F Gelgoog Marine and MS-14Jg Gelgoog Jaeger.

CAPABILITIES

Though primarily developed by the Zeonic Company of Zaku fame, the Gelgoog
incorporates technologies from all Zeon's mobile suits. Its beam weapons
are derived from the beam rifle and beam saber developed by the Federation,
while its thermonuclear thruster engines are inherited from the MS-R09 Rick
Dom. The Master Grade kit manual further claims that manufacturing was
farmed out to all Zeon's mobile suit makers, and the modular design allowed
Zeon forces to mix and match parts from different vendors, minimizing the
risk of parts shortages.

  In addition to its superb space combat performance, the Gelgoog is also
designed for ground combat. It's equipped with supplemental jet engines on
its arms for short-distance flight within space colonies or on Earth. Some
variants intended only for space combat replace these jet engines with
forearm-mounted machine guns, shields, missile launchers, et cetera.

Think that should give you something to work with... :-)

-- Mark
Mark Simmons <mailto:scorpio@best.com>

Collecting is for butterflies and stamps.
And at least butterfly collectors take 'em out of the jar.