Re: The savage replies

Mark Simmons (scorpio@best.com)
Tue, 29 Dec 1998 18:16:02 -0800

Probe writes,

> But you think the GP-02 is the best overall looking? To me it sorta
>looked like it lacked the detail-density of the GP-01... And the
>shoulder-drop-off problem seemed pretty signficant to me!

  Yes on both counts. But doesn't it look _fab_?

> Now that's just TOO cool!
> So how many reactors does this puppy have anyway?

  The MG kit manual, and some of the text in the PG manual, hew to the
circa-1979 theory that the Gundam has several generators - one in each
leg, one in the pelvis, two in the Core Fighter (to run its jets), and
two in the backpack (to charge the beam sabers). But none of these are
clearly shown in the internals of the MG and PG kits.

  Meanwhile, the PG manual also shows a diagram of a single, large
reactor that's located in the Gundam's back, between Core Block and
backpack. Vents run from this reactor under the Gundam's arms to its
chest, and out the back of the backpack, details which are replicated in
the kit. Since the Core Fighter generators supposedly account for just
one-fifth of the Gundam's total power output, it seems plausible that
this back reactor is the primary one, monopolizing the cooling vents and
running the backpack thrusters and beam sabers.

> Now that's really neat! (Some people thought it was white-metal). The
>pistons actually slide into each other then? Very cool! Where do the
>springs go?

  Yep, the pistons all slide (for $200, I should hope so!). The springs
go in the calves, where they function as shock absorbers.

> Oh yeah, these are the 'fake pistons' that cover up the balls, right?
>Cool! I heard the legs are attached to the body wierdly?

  They're attached in exactly the same way as the shoulders, via a
four-way hydraulic thingie.

> But apart from the shields they look pretty much like the EW versions?
>Is the SR's original shield similar to its EW shield at all?

  Nah, not really...

> Is the Fang at all similar to its giant dragon-shield devices in EW?

  Not really. It doesn't extend or unfold, so it's basically a giant claw
that flips over the hand.

> Hey, these versions are supposed to be _weaker_ than the EW versions!
>Can't he resist the urge to over-arm things?

  <grin>

-- Mark